Help for someone who's never worked out in a gymn.

Roger_Williams
Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I've become convinced that I need to add some weight training to build muscle so that I can burn off calories a little faster. I don't want to spend much time on this--I was thinking 30 minutes twice a week. I read somewhere that short, sharp sessions are better than longer, less strenuous ones. But I'm 72, and don't want to strain myself by going at it too madly. Is this a reasonable aim and allocation of time? And can anyone suggest which kind of exercises might be best to start off with?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    I would suggest you hire a personal trainer from your gym to get you started on a safe and effective weight lifting routine. But make sure they don't have you doing endless reps of very light weights. You want to lift the maximum weight you safely can for about 8 to 10 reps for 3 sets...if this is physically safe for you to do so. As always, check with your doctor first...
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    A personal trainer is a good idea, but if that's not possible, lots of gyms offer introductory sessions to weight training. I found that helpful as the amount of equipment can be pretty overwhelming if you try to figure it out for yourself.

You could start in your home with squats, push-ups and sit-ups/crunches. Those exercises work on fairly large muscle groups. Concentrate on doing them with good form and build up the number of times you do them.:drinker:
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    You could also check to see if your gym (or one in the area) has the Silver Sneakers program. They are classes specifically designed for active older adults. They are usually a combo of light cardio and strength training, as well as functional fitness moves designed to keep your range of motion good and keep you able to do everyday things as you get older. I take a group exercise "Lift" class that has taught me a lot about how to safely and properly strength train. Group exercise classes can be really helpful teaching tools to springboard off of.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    You could always try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. She works out multiple muscle groups with hand weights at the same time. Doesn't require a gym and is only 20 min workout. Do that 2-3 times a week and you will start to notice results. Start with small hand weights then work up in weight as those become too easy. I'm doing her No More Trouble Zones which is a longer version (IMO) of the 30 Day Shred and it's awesome! Give it a try or any similar workout DVD.
  • Roger_Williams
    I would suggest you hire a personal trainer from your gym to get you started on a safe and effective weight lifting routine. But make sure they don't have you doing endless reps of very light weights. You want to lift the maximum weight you safely can for about 8 to 10 reps for 3 sets...if this is physically safe for you to do so. As always, check with your doctor first...

Thanks for this suggestion.

Well, I'm visiting my doctor for BP meds today, and will certainly ask. But my experience of doctors here in Japan is that they all say "Why ask me? Just be sensible and don't try to do too much all at once." Fat lot of help that is. Anyway, I'll certainly ask. The gym I am thinking of using is at the end of a fairly strenuous (uphill) 25min bike ride, and it's attached to a swimming pool where I took lessons in the crawl. So I can bike there for cardio and continue with either swimming or weights.

They have helpers at the gym who will give advice on the spot but they mostly appear to be part timers, students working their way through university, people like that. Not exactly confidence building, although they certainly couldn't know any less than I do about it. <grin>
  • Roger_Williams
    Thanks for the suggestions. An introductory session is compulsory at this gym before they let you touch anything. I've had guidance from a doctor on some leg exercises I need to do following a sever foot infection that I got a year ago, and that wasted a lot of leg muscle. Someone said that reps should be done as slowly as you can with the heaviest weights you can lift at that speed. Does that make sense?
  • Roger_Williams
    You could also check to see if your gym (or one in the area) has the Silver Sneakers program. They are classes specifically designed for active older adults. They are usually a combo of light cardio and strength training, as well as functional fitness moves designed to keep your range of motion good and keep you able to do everyday things as you get older. I take a group exercise "Lift" class that has taught me a lot about how to safely and properly strength train. Group exercise classes can be really helpful teaching tools to springboard off of.

Hi, Crunchytxmama!

Unfortunately here in Japan there doesn't seem to be anything like the Silver Sneakers program, which sounds ideal. I'll Google for it and see if I can learn enough about it to try it on my own or with advice from the young people who are available at the municipal gym I intend to use.
  • Roger_Williams
    You could always try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. She works out multiple muscle groups with hand weights at the same time. Doesn't require a gym and is only 20 min workout. Do that 2-3 times a week and you will start to notice results. Start with small hand weights then work up in weight as those become too easy. I'm doing her No More Trouble Zones which is a longer version (IMO) of the 30 Day Shred and it's awesome! Give it a try or any similar workout DVD.

Thanks, that's very helpful. My gym is a strenuous bicycle ride away (although it's downhill most of the way back, which is nice when I'm tired. Wheeee!), but when the weather is bad I don't make it. The swimming pool is at the same place, but there is a much closer swimming pool I can go, so it would mostly be the weight training I would miss. Having some things I can do at home sounds like a good ideal. I'll Goggle for Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred.
This discussion has been closed.