Antioxidants a myth?

Options
Over the past couple of months I've started drinking green tea regularly as I'd heard it's full of antioxidants. Having read the article below, it turns out antioxidants aren't as good for you as everyone suggests. Are there any health gains from antioxidants at all? Have I been sucked in by media hype?

I've tried looking up info on antioxidants and all studies into possible health gains appear to be inconclusive.

http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/01/antioxidant-is-not-synonym-for-healthy

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My chem professor was pretty serious about them. I guess he knows what he's talking about.

BUT all they're saying is, just because something has antioxidants doesn't mean you should be consuming it in excess. Wine might have antioxidants but too much wine will still cause damage to your body for other reasons.
  • Spydyrx
    Options
    I drink green tea daily. I see no problem with the antioxidants working or not. However, I know from previous experience that it does boost metabolism and that for me is all I need out of it. As for whether or not they work... If they do, then great. If they don't well its no big deal since it's still A LOT healthier than other drinks out there. Just be sure if you buy it in a bottle that the sugar content isn't insanely high.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The studies you speak of are of pills and shots of specific vitamins that are antioxidant, outside of real food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    A natural antioxidant accompanies the full matrix of the food ingested to help protect and slow down oxidation, protect being the operative word and to help prevent or slow down free radicals from forming. Taking antioxidants in pill form or whatever to prevent oxidation is too late, the horse is already out of the stable and running across the field, so to speak. Two different things altogether. imo