Triathlon Training?

Options
Hey Everybody! So, I have been thinking about it and I have decided that I would really like to try doing a triathlon. Just the mini kind, I think they're called sprints? The problem is that I have no experience with anything like this whatsoever! I mean, I love biking, I have just learned to run, and I am an okay swimmer. I just thought this would motivate me to be better at all of those things! So, my question is, how did you train for your first triathlon? Are their training groups I could join? Is that a thing? Is there a training schedule I can look up online? How did you do it?

Replies

• MichelleADB
    MichelleADB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There might be a group in your area. Two of my daughters belong to a youth triathlon team in our area that is part of a larger adult training group. We pay to belong to our group, but that money gets them training, team suits and tech gear. Their training consists of runs, biking, strength training, transition training days (right before a race) and swim practice. The group pitches 10x10's at races and everyone brings healthy snacks for the youth and adult participants for after the race. It's a lot of fun.

A friend of mine found her training group by asking at her local bike shop. She doesn't pay anything to belong. She found her group after her first "beginner" (only newbies participated in her wave) triathlon. You might try searching online, or at a bike or running store.

Good luck!
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds super fun!
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I know it was about a week ago you posted this, but I was doing a search for triathlon topics. I have just started on a training program that will help me to participate in my first Sprint Tri in April. There are a lot of good resources out there that are free, but most of the groups like Michelle mentioned are a pay to participate sort of thing. At least that is what I've found. The Beginner Triathlete website has a TON of information and it has a few free training programs you can use (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com). If you are interested in finding a local group though the USA Triathlon website has a good listing for the entire country, you'll just have to find one local to you (http://www.usatriathlon.org/audience/clubs/contents.aspx). I've done a lot of research as I'm a bit of a geek so if you have any questions let me know.

Good luck in your training, and hope you do well on your first Sprint!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My husband I are doing our first sprint tri Feb 23rd. It is a reverse. 5k run, 13 mile ride, 200meter swim in an olympic size pool. I am very excited. Swimming is my weakest. I've been watching videos on youtube for swim technique and had also critique. It really helped but we are going to go for a few lessons before the race. Running is my comfort zone because I did cross country and track in high school. Cycling I am comfortable in as well. My husband and I have been riding 15-25 mile rides for about a year now. I found a training plan online but have really been just trying to do each activity 1-2 times a week. I agree that www.beginnertriathlete.com
    and http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp are great resources.

Also go to Active.com and find a triathlon in your area to sign up for. The one I did had 4 free clinics/workshops before the race that have been very helpful. I found out about them on the website for the race.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info! My biggest issue right now is finding an affordable place to swim. It's winter, so I can't swim outside, but all of the pools around here are a little pricey. I am also considering swimming lessons. Again, a little expensive!
  • girlsrun
    Options
    Beginnertriathlete.com is an awesome site to help with training. Also, finding a local group is good. Find a sprint triathlon that maybe has a pool swim for your first tri. It's a lot less stress than open water. Good luck, you will do great!! It's such a fun sport.