White Castle Milkshakes - possible demographic "fattening"

Options
A friend just pointed out to me that White Castle's milkshakes vary GREATLY in Calories depending on what region the restaurant is in. I find this extremely concerning b/c I live in Louisville and they have almost DOUBLE the calories than some of the other regions. 9g of fat in Chicago, 48g in Louisville? 154 g sugar in Chicago, 211g in Louisville? That's almost 15 tsps more of sugar.

I realize that none of us on here probably would ever order a large chocolate milkshake, but it is the principle to me. A milkshake at White Castle should not vary that greatly from region to region. It makes me think that are preying on notoriously "fat" regions of the country.

I sent them a comment on their website asking that they explain this to me. We'll see if they reply.

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is very worrisome. I'm interested to hear their response, please keep us posted!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It could be due to regional taste differences. Many companies will change recipies to go along with the norms of different regions; adding more flavor, spice, sugar, or even greatly different items in different regions. I used to work at McDonald's in high school and there are products that they sell in Texas that they do not sell anywhere else.
  • HorseFly
    HorseFly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is the response I received:

"In answer to your immediate question, milkshake mixes are sourced from local dairies and as this item was added to our menus on a Region by Region base, White Castle has never developed a single milkshake flavor and texture specification and as such local tastes have been allowed to dictate the style, thickness, nutrition profile, etc of our milkshakes."

I guess that means I should be hunting down someone at the local White Castle office branch for an answer. It is odd to me to have a chain that has no standard recipe for an item. While I like that they support local suppliers, it seems like there should be some restrictions on how much fat and sugar one region can pour into a milkshake to keep it at least close to the other regions in nutritional profile.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Pretty interesting. Makes you wonder about every other place when you eat out.