Over Eating

♥dawnwestbury♥
♥dawnwestbury♥ Posts: 104
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone struggle with over eating? Not just "oh I had 3 extra slices of pizza" but more of binge eating, like you consume massive amounts ... say at night ... of food. Or emotional eating etc etc.

Thanks

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Oh ya, off and on, ALL the time! :grumble:
    I tell my friends how I lost the weight, but that I guess I didn't learn how to do it right, cuz of the way that I am. I'll be "good" for awhile, but then totally "be bad" whenever the mood strikes. :frown: Which it ALWAYS does at a buffet, or get together where there's lots of yummy food! :love: It's a roller coaster ride, that's for sure. At least thanks to MFP though, I learned to get exercise in whenever I can, ESPECIALLY when I KNOW I'll be over eating. :wink: It helps A LOT, since before MFP, I just ate and ate, and never gave exercising, or "behaving myself" a thought! Hopefully, with MFP, I WON'T gain back all the weight I lost. I'm happy "see sawing" back and forth with the same 5 or so pounds! :laugh:
  • djfshop
    djfshop Posts: 63 Member
    I do! Evenings are bad for me and 3 extra slices of pizza would be overeating for me. My calories I can take in are only 1000. I am trying hard to only eating what I am allowed with this program (exercise calories.) I am told that the binge cravings are hormonal due to cysts, but still isn't reassuring when I am certain I could eat pieces of furniture because I want to eat something so badly. My stomach my even feel full, but when it hits, look out!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    When I pms or sleep too little. On days like that, I've already eaten so many calories its best if I don't make things worst and just go to bed. Somedays I'll be in bed by 7-7:30. That way my body can work out all its issues and I can start fresh the next day.

Also, for some reasons as soon as I get to mom's house I lose all control. I know I have NO willpower, so at the apt. I don't keep anything bad there. Mom's house is like every kids' dreams. Candy, cookies, chips... you name it she's got it! Darn you evil mom house! :grumble:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    I'm sooooooo glad someone brough this up. As I read your post I was on the verge of going out to buy snacks to munch on. Weekends are the worse for me. Sometimes I can be really 'good' but at other times I jus give in. It's also a patten on Sunday evenings for me to overeat too as I tell myself that Monday is always a fresh start. It's a shame too as I've had quite a good day today both with food and exercise. It's so frustrating as I only want to lose 7lb to get down to 138lb but it's so hard!!!! Can anyone suggest any strategies (which really work) for overcoming this as I think it's this binge eating that's sabbotaging my weight loss :cry:
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Honey. Don't worry, a ton of us out here are struggling with the EXACT same thing. I'm in a thread called "Food Addicts Anonymous"...sounds a little silly. But its for real a struggle for a lot of us, this whole emotional eating/binging thing. But we're working on it, little by little!
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    I have struggled with binge eating for years..... somebody mentioned to me to get the Beck Diet book and workbook. I ordered it today to see if it helps me out. I've spent the past 5 days binging like crazy and I know it's emotional. I'll be full from all the food, and then see something else in the house and go over it like cookie monster. When my binges hit me, I have no self restraint. I can put it off for a little while, trying to do somthing to keep my mind off it, and it doesn't work, because the entire time I'm thinking about what I'm going to eat next.

I'm starting today, and taking it one day at a time to get back in control and teaching my brain that food is not the cure. The hardest part of binge eating/ emotional eating/ food addiction is that we can't NOT eat!! Our bodies require food to function.

I hope those books get here soon!! I'm doing okay today, since I'm at work. But I'm a little scared to go home, cause I know there's food in the house. It's not even junk food that I'm eating either. It's things like Special K, almonds, raisins.... well crackers aren't good, but there are worse things....

Let's work together to beat this!
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    This is something I definitly struggle with on a daily basis. I have really only identified the problem recently as well as I have been in denial so long. But I am so glad to talk about it now. I have ok days but no good days as every day there is always something. There are certain foods that I just can't keep in the house at all. Other times I will go out and buy things and then they will be eaten until finished. I don't binge on 'normal' food - only junk food so apart from my binging I eat relatively well. As soon as I have some chocolate or something it sets me off and i need more. Today I am off work sick and I am so tempted to go and get something until I read this. Now I am trying to change the feeling I have that I 'need' something.
This discussion has been closed.