Numb feet while working out- HELP!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this or knows why this might be happening....

When I am at the gym and I am either on the treadmill for an extended period of time or the eliptical (20-30mins is when it usually starts to happen), both of my feet begin to feel numb like I cant feel them.

I have tried to change shoes. I have changed the shoes I wear twice, loosened my laces, but still this is continuing to happen.

Anyone have any suggestions or the same experience?

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Same thing happens to me. Every 5 minutes or so on the elliptical, I try to reposition my feet and wiggle my toes. :laugh: It helps...I don't know how to stop it completely though!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I've never had it happen on the treadmill but it happens on the elliptical all the time. Have you tried changing the incline on the treadmill?
  • kathuggs
    kathuggs Posts: 76 Member
    I don't use the elliptical as much anymore because my feet always go numb. I think it's the pressure I put on my toes, because it seems to get better if I focus the pressure on my heels. I've never had a problem on the treadmill.
    I hope it gets better for you!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    I never had the problem on the treadmill, but did have it on the elliptical.

Since I started wearing the 5 finger shoes, i have not lost feeling in my feet.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Happened to me and comes from putting to much pressure of the ball of your foot, especially when using the elliptical. To alleviate this problem you can lower the resistance level on the elliptical and by also making a conscious effort of keeping the weight/pressure on the back of your foot.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Oh I have this all the time on the elliptical too - change the incline, make sure to use your whole foot and know that your feet will be fine once you're off!
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    This also happens to me, but on my exercise bike, not the treadmill. I think I have to loosen the straps on the pedals so my feet can go a little further up the pedal and take some pressure off the ball of my foot like 714rah said.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Add me to the list of those who get this on the elliptical. I have to remember to shift my feet regularly.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    AH! I stopped doing the elliptical for a long time because this started happening! I thought maybe I had poor circulation, since after having gotten in better shape it happens rarely now. I guess should start paying more attention to my feet placement, then. Glad to know I'm not alone!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    I heard someone say once it could be to do with your laces being tied too tightly, occasionally this fix helps me with the problem but not always.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    I have the same issues!! both elliptical and cybex... I might try wearing my vibrams on it and see if that helps
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    This happens to me during zumba class, never treadmill or elip. I've wasted money on 5 different pair of shoes.
    Glad to hear im not alone
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,607 Member
    I never had the problem on the treadmill, but did have it on the elliptical.

Since I started wearing the 5 finger shoes, i have not lost feeling in my feet.
    are those the ones like rubber deck shoes but with toes that smell AWFUL and aren't waterproof? I wore a pair once and gave them away.
    when my feet go numb on the elliptical I kind of rock more exaggerating my heel and rolling thru my foot for a while.. usually stops it.