Super Size Me

Options
So I finally got around to watching Super Size Me. Wow.

One part of the movie really got me thinking. When he is talking to a guy about a dinner party scenerio and how one individual was bashing another person for smoking and saying how bad it is for you and how could he do that to his body. At the table there is a large woman and he doesn't say anything to her about her obesity. Why is it okay to bash smokers but there is some sort of unwritten rule that you don't publicly confront someone about their weight?

I just thought it was interesting and was curious to see what other people think. Smoking and obesity are serious problems but I think it's safe to say that it's generally acceptable to talk crap about smokers but it's seen as so rude to say similar things to an overweight person. Why is that?

Replies

• marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Options
    I haven't seen the...movie? But I think it's because most people become overweight/obese at a young age, when they're careless about eating and just want to be kids. But with smokers, it's a choice they make after they're 18 or just in their teens when they're old enough to understand the consequences and health hazards.
    They might both be dangerous, but they are two very different things.

Personally, I think it's very rude to bash someone about their smoking habits. Of course they know what they're doing to themselves. If they want to, then fine let them. Who are you to tell them what to do or how to live theire life? Just my opinion :tongue:
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    So I finally got around to watching Super Size Me. Wow.

One part of the movie really got me thinking. When he is talking to a guy about a dinner party scenerio and how one individual was bashing another person for smoking and saying how bad it is for you and how could he do that to his body. At the table there is a large woman and he doesn't say anything to her about her obesity. Why is it okay to bash smokers but there is some sort of unwritten rule that you don't publicly confront someone about their weight?

I just thought it was interesting and was curious to see what other people think. Smoking and obesity are serious problems but I think it's safe to say that it's generally acceptable to talk crap about smokers but it's seen as so rude to say similar things to an overweight person. Why is that?

I think it is very rude to do either. People make bad choices, it happens. Instead of bashing, encourage. And not in a judgemental critical way. If we could love and support eachother regardless of smoker, obeise, whatever, what a better world this would be.
  • gym_rat
    gym_rat Posts: 94
    Options
    Just to clarify, I wasn't saying it's okay to bash people. I just thought it was interesting the way it was worded and got me thinking.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was both, and still am a smoker...=( but if you dont think i didnt get bashed on for being over wt your wrong. most people dont go on and on about it but the looks, the comments, and the tones even when your not eating are very hurtful and dont help....

No one has to tell me its wrong for me to over eat or smoke I already know. And "you" telling me about it doesnt make me want to change. In fact it makes me want to light up while eating a chocolate chip cookie. =) So the next time anyone wants to "rag" on someone for any unhealthy habbit remember grace will get you farther than judgement.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I wasn't saying it's okay to bash people. I just thought it was interesting the way it was worded and got me thinking.

i knw thats why I put " " around you.....So you would knw not you personally but the bashers personally :flowerforyou:
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options
    personally, as a smoker and obese woman, I have some strong opinions about both situations (strangers suggesting I quit smoking/go on a diet). First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to mention to anyone who might feel the urge to tell a stranger smoking a cigarette that it's bad for them- WE KNOW. And unfortunately, every time someone I've never met before tells me that I should quit, that it's bad for me, about their uncle larry who tragically died of lung cancer, it just aggravates me. Being a smoker doesn't make me stupid, and doesn't make my life your business. I believe that this is also true of people who are overweight and/or obese. However, I think the reason that people don't approach overweight people and tell them the desert they just ordered is going to give them diabetes is because society sort of tells over weight people (and especially women) that they are somehow not normal or less good/deserving/worthy because of their weight, in contrast to smokers who still have a rebel-without-a-cause stigma more than they have an idiot-trying-to-die-prematurely stigma.

Granted these are only my personal opinions based on my own reactions, etc, and it may not be true for anyone else but me.
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options
    I was both, and still am a smoker...=( but if you dont think i didnt get bashed on for being over wt your wrong. most people dont go on and on about it but the looks, the comments, and the tones even when your not eating are very hurtful and dont help....

No one has to tell me its wrong for me to over eat or smoke I already know. And "you" telling me about it doesnt make me want to change. In fact it makes me want to light up while eating a chocolate chip cookie. =) So the next time anyone wants to "rag" on someone for any unhealthy habbit remember grace will get you farther than judgement.

"you telling me makes me want to light up while eating a chocolate chip cookie" hahahahhaa I laugh because it's so true. Oh man. Can I use this line in the future?
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Maybe....just throwing it out there.....not making a statement..or judging....but maybe, people think it's okay to bash smokers but not overweight people, because it's now politically correct to consider overweight people as a "protected class". It's a disease. We can't discriminate against persons because of their weight. Whereas, smoking is considered an unhealthy personal choice.

Before you jump all over me, I am just "supposing" here -- I'm not passing judgement. After all, I am overwight or I wouldn't be here in the first place, and, while I don't smoke cigarettes, I love cigars. I will give up my cigar "WHEN YOU TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS."
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options
    Maybe....just throwing it out there.....not making a statement..or judging....but maybe, people think it's okay to bash smokers but not overweight people, because it's now politically correct to consider overweight people as a "protected class". It's a disease. We can't discriminate against persons because of their weight. Whereas, smoking is considered an unhealthy personal choice.

Before you jump all over me, I am just "supposing" here -- I'm not passing judgement. After all, I am overwight or I wouldn't be here in the first place, and, while I don't smoke cigarettes, I love cigars. I will give up my cigar "WHEN YOU TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS."

I think you have a good point. It's certainly an interesting way to think about it, in any case.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    When you comment on someone's smoking habit, generally you're commenting on what it's doing to their health. When you comment on someone's weight, no matter how well-meaning you are, to that person, it's going to be about their appearance. It's generally not acceptable to insult someone's appearance.

Another factor is, with smoking, you're endangering the lives of those around you, when you overeat, you're mainly hurting yourself. If someone puts my life at risk, I have a right to ask them not to, but if I were in public eating fried chicken, and someone felt the need to tell me how fat I am, I'd be more than a little miffed.
    __

I think non-smokers have a right to complain about others smoking around them, by the way, considering the fact that smoking kills.
  • Vallandingham
    Options

__

I think non-smokers have a right to complain about others smoking around them, by the way, considering the fact that smoking kills.

I think if those that did smoke showed a little consideration and those that didn't were a little less judgemental, we'd all be a little better off.
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    When I re-read my last comment it looked like I was picking on BrendaLee. I wasn't. My apologies.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have also observed how obesity is less criticized than smoking. I think it's kind of because we all have to eat, we can't just quit eating entirely, so a regular weight person could become an obese person. There's a whole spectrum of body types: anorexic/skinny/slim/normal/thick/chubby/kinda fat/fat/obese/DAMN that perhaps makes people less likely to comment because we are somewhere on that spectrum, and might not feel too confident about where we are. There's also that "it's not my fault it's my thyroid/metabolism/whatever" surrounding obesity.

There is no real spectrum when it comes to smoking. You do it or you don't do it. The frequency doesn't have the same outward appearance altering effect that overeating does. But a smoker can quit entirely, and those who don't smoke can feel smug and superior when they see them light up.

I'm not trying to condone the judging of others, because we all have our own stuff that could be judged. These are just my thoughts on the difference in the way the two groups are treated
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options

__

I think if those that did smoke showed a little consideration and those that didn't were a little less judgemental, we'd all be a little better off.

I happen to be a very consider it smoker, because my best friend is allergic to smoke, but still people go out of their way to walk over to me and tell me that I should quit smoking. Smoking is an addiction, some stranger telling me to quit isn't going to make it happen. Also, living in a city you will breath in just as many carcenogens. Do you tell people in 6 or 8 cylinder vehicles that they should switch to a greener vehicle because they're decision is effecting your health so you have a right to complain? If someone is blowing smoke in your face or in a closed space, then I totally agree. I think that is rude and inexcusable. But if someone is going out of their to go talk down to a smoker I think that is just as rude and inexcusable. We don't live in a bubble, we're not idiots, we know the health concerns, and I guarantee most of the people you see smoking are trying to quit anyway. Leave us alone when we leave you alone.
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options
    In other words I agree with vallandingum
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    I think as a general rule most smokers are more considerate.

example. I go for a 7 mile walk every Saturday and Sunday (Portland has some great trails). I always take a cigar for the last mile. (No consternations, please) I was coming off the trail as a woman was coming on. She pulled her cigarette out of her mouth held it away from me and apologised, saying she didn't want to get smoke in my face.

I had a cigar in my mouth.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think non-smokers (ME) have the right to not stand right next to person who is smoking, considering the fact that smoking kills. It is still LEGAL to smoke ( not sure how long with the way our country is going). If you don't like it, don't be around them. They have the right to stand on the sidewalk and smoke just as we have the right to stand on the sidewalk and NOT smoke.