Rest Days..?

2»

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I take 3 rest days a week...but they're active rest days. Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri I do a heavy lifting program. Wed, Sat & Sun are my active rest days. I'll go for a small jog or do 15-20 mins if HIIT cardio. Nothing too crazy, just something to get me off my butt for the day, but still allow my muscles to take a breather and recoop for the next beating.

PS- You won't "look like a dude" if you lift. You'll just be a kick *kitten* toned woman with a bit of muscle definition. [plus it raises your metabolism while you're at rest, resulting in more calories burned per day... but what do I know. I'm just a man-woman :tongue: ]
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Depends on what you are doing at the gym and how your body is feeling. If you are wondering if it's necessary, it probably isn't.

This^.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Rest days are good..on my rest days I do light stuff, like walking.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Well, I do believe that I am doing something right considering I leave the gym soaked in sweat. I do mostly cardio. I lift minimal because I don't want to look like a dude, my arms and legs are significantly toned. I just enjoy being there. Its like my get away. I have no problems taking a rest day but whenever I think about taking the day off I get really antsy and I feel lazy, all I was asking was if there was a benefit to taking the day off. Thanks for the POSITIVE reinforcement that the majority of you gave. I appreciate it : )

You will NOT look like a dude if you lift weights unless you are taking steroids.

How long are you doing your cardio for and at what intensity? Sweating isn't always indicative of a "great hard workout". Right now I am doing Insanity and that is 6 days a week and let me tell you I look forward to my rest days because I am just so spent from 6 days of hard, pounding cardio that I can't even think about doing a seventh day of anything.

I'm doing 30 to 60 minutes Elytical with incline and a level 12 resistance everyday. Then it ranges from any combination of stair master level 6 for 20 mins, I do the ciruits (back row, chest press, shoulder press, abdominal crunch ) and 100+ V-Tuck-Crunches. Sometimes its all of the above, usually saturdays. But like I said, for me if I dont go and do something I feel like lazy.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Well, I do believe that I am doing something right considering I leave the gym soaked in sweat. I do mostly cardio. I lift minimal because I don't want to look like a dude, my arms and legs are significantly toned.

Do I look like a dude? Because I lift a lot :noway:

I never said you looked like a dude....no need to get sensative, I appologize if you conceived that to be insulting. I used to get compared to guys because my arms were bigger than most girls muscle wise and I didnt like it, hence me wording and comparison
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I see exercising that much the same way I see eating 1200 calories. When you hit a plateau (yes, it will happen at some point), what are you going to do to reestablish a deficit? You've pretty much taken increasing activity off the table as an option.