Very Desperate dieter

2»

Replies

• phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    your body will adjust to cardio faster and burn less calories [..]
    This is like the new starvation mode, where is this info coming from? The human body does not adjust to cardio and burn less calories.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I would say add in weights, your body will adjust to cardio faster and burn less calories, as you get fitter you need to continually up the bar. Get a HRM too, this will tell you exactly what you are burning not estimates. I recently found out that my HR recovers really fast, so I have to constently be doing cardio even in weight circuits to keep up the heart rate.

this as well. resistance training has been proven to actually accelerate weight loss AND give you more of an "afterburn" effect (yes i know, also controversial)
  • CoachReddy
    This is like the new starvation mode, where is this info coming from? The human body does not adjust to cardio and burn less calories.

yes it does. as your heart and lungs get stronger, they don't have to work as hard, thus they circulate blood to your stronger muscles better thus you don't have to burn as many calories to accomplish the same task.

pretty clear to me.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Your body might be very used to the same routine. Try and change it up. Maybe cut back a little on the cardio and add strength training. Also, varying your calorie intake each day may jump start your body. Maybe one day eat 1300 calories and then 2000 calories the next day.
  • I am the same height as you and weigh about 100 pounds less. I burn about 600 calories in an hour of running (mine includes hills). I think you are way off on your calories burned estimates. I'm wearing a heart rate monitor. Are you?
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    If you have been stuck for two years then you have to change something in order to get a change. The minutia of calculating the exact amount of calories expended during exercise will not make you lose the fat. I commend you on your ability to keep doing all those physical workouts even though you are not getting what you want out of it.

What to change? If I were you I would try a low carbohydrate diet first (somewhere between 50 and 100 grams a day). See how that goes. You may have some food sensitivities that you are not even aware of that might be getting in your way too.

You might consider changing up your workout routine, as other have said. Try some heavy lifting (Squats, Dead-lifts, Overhead press, Bench Press and bent-over rows). A little bit of steady-state is probably great for everyone, but maybe you could try some sprinting or Tabata type workouts, just for fun.

Good luck.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Invest in a HRM you will be surprised at the amount of calories you think you burn as to what you actually burn

good call (and the poster above you who said the same thing.)

Thank you!

As well as an HRM invest in a cheap set of kitchen scales. I cook fresh food from scratch but my problem has always been portion control. Amazing how calories can creep in without you knowing. Now I even measure the milk I put in my tea as it soon adds up over the day.

Of course if you are burning 600 calories a session and keeping your calories low then, as other posters have said, maybe it's time to increase your calories (this MFP group is popular and may help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less)
  • phildawson75

yes it does. as your heart and lungs get stronger, they don't have to work as hard, thus they circulate blood to your stronger muscles better thus you don't have to burn as many calories to accomplish the same task.

pretty clear to me.

The difference between the calories used between an avg person who has just started doing a cardio exercise and someone who has been doing it everyday for the last x mths/years is negligible. If you have a 150 lbs and a 300 lbs person and said walk as far as possible on 500 cals of energy then the 300 lbs person is still shifting 150 lbs more weight along. Doesn't matter if that's 300 lbs of muscle or fat. When people losing weight are talking about needing to do more to burn the same cals its really down to their weight change, not because their body has adapted to using less calories for the same cardio exercise.
  • CoachReddy

pretty clear to me.

The difference between the calories used between an avg person who has just started doing a cardio exercise and someone who has been doing it everyday for the last x mths/years is negligible. If you have a 150 lbs and a 300 lbs person and said walk as far as possible on 500 cals of energy then the 300 lbs person is still shifting 150 lbs more weight along. Doesn't matter if that's 300 lbs of muscle or fat. When people losing weight are talking about needing to do more to burn the same cals its really down to their weight change, not because their body has adapted to using less calories for the same cardio exercise.

ah. you think walking is cardio. that's the difference. i call that normal activity.
  • phildawson75

pretty clear to me.

ah. you think walking is cardio. that's the difference. i call that normal activity.

At this point you're pretty much trollin but ill take the bait. Replace walk with any activity you wish. A heavier person is going to burn more calories than a smaller person doing the same thing. The same reason why the more you weigh the higher your TDEE.

Again when people losing weight need to do more to burn the same it isn't because the body has now learnt or "adapted" to doing the same activity using less calories (this change in efficiency is negligible on calories burnt), its simply because they weigh less.