Quinoa Recipes

Options
kimmcconkey
kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
I attempted to make quinoa the other night and I found the 'nuttiness' a litt le too much for my taste. Should it be that nutty? This might be a silly question but does anyone have a quinoa recipe that 'masks' it's flavour?

Replies

• jenniferarno
    jenniferarno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite quinoa recipe.....

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/

I usually use white quinoa, the red stuff is always really expensive where I shop.
  • cheflinda
    cheflinda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it in a strainer for about a minute before you cook it. There's a residue on the outside that can give it a weird flavor if not rinsed off - that could be it. I also cook it in broth rather than water to give it more flavor.
  • xatannerx
    xatannerx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I cooked quinoa for the first time last night and it was a hit...even with my husband. I made Shimp quinoa with a few adjustments.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-quinoa/

quinoa cooked in chicken broth
    shrimp ( I used precooked tail-off)
    red pepper
    onion
    asparagus
    mushroom
    Ginger Root
    garlic
    olive oil

I omitted the mushrooms and added "Slap Ya Mama" (an awesome spicy seasoning) and red pepper flakes for kick :)

Link to Slap Ya Mama: http://www.amazon.com/Slap-Ya-Mama-Cajun-Seasoning/dp/B000KS3L4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358185644&sr=8-3&keywords=slap+your+mama
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I use the white quinoa...I don't really like the red stuff. I also usually cook it in chicken broth or water with spices in it.

Last night I made spanish quinoa with chili powder, cumin & ro-tel tomatoes in the water. I then added carmelized onions, peppers, and garlic along with frozen corn when it was finished. Yum!

You can pretty much make it taste anyway you would like. Season/cook it like you would rice.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    My wife puts it in burritos with chicken or turkey, kids eat it and don't even know its there. My favourite is curried quinoa. Sorry I don't have any recipes, just some ideas.
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make these a lot. Ive tailored the recipe to my taste - I add the dipping sauce to the recipe before cooking.

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/02/quinoa-pizza-bites.html
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    I make risotto out of mine - it is so good.

Ingredients:
    1/2 tbsp butter or oil
    5-7 Cremini mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, minced
    1/2 shallot, minced
    3 cups vegetable broth
    1.5 cup quinoa, rinsed
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for the top
    Drizzle of black Truffle oil (optional)
    Instructions:
    1. Turn your heat to medium and melt the butter until the foaming subsides then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the onions and shallots. In the meantime, while the mushrooms are cooking, I’m going to work on cutting up the parsley.
    2. When the mushrooms start to brown its then time to add the quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil then turn to medium-low and cover. After the quinoa absorbs all the broth, add the parsley and Parmesan cheese. Stir it well. Serve immediately and top with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil.

I also sometimes cook it with a little white wine, gives it a nice flavor
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    You know, I have been cooking with Quinoa for about two months now and the experience gets better and better. It should not be nutty. IT is supposed to be boiled like rice until it is soft. But just the other day, I was in ShopRite and found Quinoa in a box with different flavors, They had oil and garlic, mushroom and peppers and also mixed vegetables. You simply add it to about 1 cup of water and let it cook until soft.

MY biggest mistake once was that I thought if I coated something with it and put it in the oven that it would cook and when I took it out, it was still as hard as a rock and I realized that I couldn't cook it no other way but to boil it.

Hope that helped.
  • Lancer97
    Lancer97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't like straight quinoa either. I go 50/50 with rice
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I make risotto out of mine - it is so good.

Ingredients:
    1/2 tbsp butter or oil
    5-7 Cremini mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, minced
    1/2 shallot, minced
    3 cups vegetable broth
    1.5 cup quinoa, rinsed
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for the top
    Drizzle of black Truffle oil (optional)
    Instructions:
    1. Turn your heat to medium and melt the butter until the foaming subsides then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the onions and shallots. In the meantime, while the mushrooms are cooking, I’m going to work on cutting up the parsley.
    2. When the mushrooms start to brown its then time to add the quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil then turn to medium-low and cover. After the quinoa absorbs all the broth, add the parsley and Parmesan cheese. Stir it well. Serve immediately and top with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil.

I also sometimes cook it with a little white wine, gives it a nice flavor

This sounds awesome, I love risotto but I haven't wanted to do it with normal arborio rice, definitely will give this a try.
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds amazing!
  • laughinggypsy
    Options
    oops, still getting the hang of this- both the shrimp and the risotto sound incredible!
  • laughinggypsy
    Options
    I use it instead of bulgar wheat in tabouli-much more nutritious....
  • girlfabulous10
    girlfabulous10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    quinoa, diced tomato black olives, diced cucumber, red onion, feta and lemon juice and olive oil
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!! I haven't figured Quinoa out either.

I did made crock pot stuffed bell peppers with mine. Subbed it for the rice. It was really good, just bland. Should have seasoned it a little better.
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • melissadawn1990
    Options
    bump
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I really like quinoa so far! I had it with my dinner tonight, I made a quick black bean soup and serve it over quinoa instead of rice. it was yummy and super filling while being healthy!
  • sarahcsmaller
    sarahcsmaller Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quinoa pudding

like a rice pudding but healthier :)

I used a can coconut milk and extra cows milk cinnamon a bit of agave nectar and added raisins near the end. satified my sweet tooth and my conscious. enjoy