Eat Clean Experiences

Options
Hi ,

I have heard the term ' EAT CLEAN' a lot on mfp , what is it and does it work for you ?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just means healthy whole foods...
    fruits, veggies, whole wheat, no chemcials not processed. lean no hormone injected meat.
    etc..
    not necessarily organic..
    that's what it means to me at least.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    To me, it means avoiding pocessed foods and fast foods.
    Eating natural, whole foods.

An example, if I want something sweet a pear is clean eating while a snickers bar isn't.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I follow the 3 second rule
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    It seems like you get a different answer for every person you ask, lol. For me, I try to eat foods that are not processed or minimally processed most of the time. I try to avoid boxed foods or fast food. The closer the food is to it's natural form, the better. For me personally, I find this way of eating makes me feel better, my skin looks better and I like the way the food tastes better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^^ This...... Unless it is something like an M&M. The hard candy shell makes it easy to wipe off any dirt if you happen to drop it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've had more success at eating foods I enjoy in moderation, rather than making a naughty list.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

^^^ This...... Unless it is something like an M&M. The hard candy shell makes it easy to wipe off any dirt if you happen to drop it.
    Over 50 and it's the 5 second rule.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

If its meat I wash it off and re-season - after intensely inspecting for hairs for at least 16 minuets - I am deathly afraid of hairs.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    you'll hear a lot of silliness on MFP
  • neanderthin
    Options

If its meat I wash it off and re-season - after intensely inspecting for hairs for at least 16 minuets - I am deathly afraid of hairs.
    Hair is healthy, low calorie and adds fiber.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

An example, if I want something sweet a pear is clean eating while a snickers bar isn't.

Agreed. I mainly eat clean by eating home cooked foods free of preservatives, dyes or additives. However, I don't always eat perfectly. I go out to eat at a restaurant and don't sweat it. I enjoy birthday cake with everyone else in the office. If I want some boxed snack once in a while, then I will have it. In order for it to be sustainable for me (I have eaten this way for 10 years+, before it even had the label of "clean"), I eat my definition of clean *most* of the time. However, I am not going to miss out on life, social functions, or the occasional Cheez-It in order to live 100% clean.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    For me, it's eating single-ingredient foods (i.e. broccoli, spinach, fish) 90% of the time and allowing myself that 10% of leeway so I don't go nuts and can live in the real world. It's also about going towards health rather than avoiding unhealthy stuff. Oh, and I am a big believer in organic -- what your food ate before you ate it matters, IMO!:drinker:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

But fiber is high in carbs
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    so basically eating fresh foods instead of processed foods ?
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Agreed. I mainly eat clean by eating home cooked foods free of preservatives, dyes or additives. However, I don't always eat perfectly. I go out to eat at a restaurant and don't sweat it. I enjoy birthday cake with everyone else in the office. If I want some boxed snack once in a while, then I will have it. In order for it to be sustainable for me (I have eaten this way for 10 years+, before it even had the label of "clean"), I eat my definition of clean *most* of the time. However, I am not going to miss out on life, social functions, or the occasional Cheez-It in order to live 100% clean.

agreed. In fact, I see this whole journey as one of improvement, not perfection.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Just means healthy whole foods...
    fruits, veggies, whole wheat, no chemcials not processed. lean no hormone injected meat.
    etc..
    not necessarily organic..
    that's what it means to me at least.

This is me. I noticed I have a lot more energy, my skin is clearer, also I'm not as hungry and I am no longer craving sweets like I used to. I'm not 100% and I try not to be anal about it if I'm eating at someone's home or eating out, but I try to be mindful of my choices.
  • neanderthin
    Options

But fiber is high in carbs
    If it were a hair ball, then yes I would be concerned about the carbs too, but a few straggling hairs, I wouldn't even record that, almost like a negative calorie.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For me, I cut back on processed foods and concentrated on eating whole foods (unprocessed meats, fruits, veggies, homemade meals from whole foods, etc). I feel way better and have pretty much no digestion issues now. I had an upset stomach pretty frequently before. It's also a lot easier to keep calories and sodium down if you eat clean.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    so basically eating fresh foods instead of processed foods ?

Basically yes :)
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started eating "clean" a week ago today. I cut out all processed foods and fast food. I eat a lot of veggies, fruits and lean meats. I have a lot more energy and feel better. I have also lost 7 pounds...a lot of it is water weight because I have cut way down on sodium as well.