Sitting more than 8hrs?

Options
At work I sit at a desk and look at a computer screen all day long. Who else has an office job that requires more than 8hrs. of sitting? What do you do throughout the day to get by besides hitting up the vending machine?There are no stairs at work and lunch is a quick 30min. I try not to drink too much because I dread using public restrooms (some kind of phobia) and since I'm like 10min.away from work I go home daily.

Replies

• Celina429
    Celina429 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I too have a desk job too, but one of the tips our wellness person gave us was to stand up off of your chair and sit back down. It's like doing squats at your desk. I'm tucked away in a cubicle so I'm able to do it without anyone giving me funny looks, LOL! Also, I started walking for 30 minutes during lunch. You should try a pedometer and try to improve your step count every day. Good luck! :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I work on the second floor and run up eight flights of steps to use the toilet on the sixth floor.

I try to leave my desk once every hour, even if it's just to get more water.

Most lunch hours I go for a walk - a full 40 minutes power walking if I have the time ( I keep trainers in my desk and log speed and distance with the CardioTrainer app) or just 10 minutes round the block if I don't.

There's a public pool near my office so I sometimes go for a quick swim.

Sometimes I pop resistance bands in my handbag and have a mini workout in the toilet or the local park, depending on the weather!
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    I am planning to try sitting on an exercise ball instead of an office chair.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make about 4-5 trips a day to the water cooler at the back of the building, sometimes circle the warehouse a few times before going back into the office to get circulation back in my legs...
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I also sit at a desk...I haven't found a way to fit in exercise! (a not so great neighborhood for walking, no flights of stairs and I'm squeezed in a room on top of other co-workers!) I do make sure I eat a protein-packed breakfast to hold off hunger (I usually bring it with me and eat it around 9 or so). I drink plenty of water, eat a filling lunch as well and then a cup of tea in the afternoon sometimes. :)
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I make about 4-5 trips a day to the water cooler at the back of the building, sometimes circle the warehouse a few times before going back into the office to get circulation back in my legs...

great idea! Sounds like we work in a similar set-up.
  • cozystyle
    cozystyle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have an office job also, i find myself getting up every 1hr or every1/2 hr. just to improve circulation. I work the front desk, so rather than putting everybody's mail in their mailboxes, i deliver it....i am gonna take the one person's advice with doing squats at my desk...every little bit helps....good luck:smile:
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have to get up and walk around, I can't just sit at my desk. If it's lunch time I might go chat with a coworker or just take a walk around the floor.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I get up every half hour/hour.

I eat my breakfast before I get in the office, have a piece of fruit for a snack, an early light lunch (salad that I can eat at the desk), a late lunch (usually out with the coworkers), and then a greek yogurt or something high-protein for the afternoon.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water...that will get you up and moving.
  • inchbyinchpoundbypound
    Options
    Hey! I also have a desk job that requires me to sit at a desk all day long until about 4:30 where then i get to hang out with a bunch of kids for the rest of the night. I am a youth director. Recently I bought a body cycle. Its like a stationary spin bike but its just the pedal part. I put it under my desk. I use it all day long. It was only about $25 at Walmart. Best decision ever. I also turn on Pandora and listen to dance cardio all day....just to make sure I have some extra movement!!!! You could also start a Zumba Lunch like I did at my office!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I walk during my breaks and lunch. I have a little mini-cooler full of snacks and lunch so I'm not tempted to buy things from the cafe or nearby fast food places. Since I can usually eat between calls, it gives me my full 45-minute lunch break for a walk if I want one. I like walking during lunch because then I don't feel as bad if something comes up and I need to skip the gym after work.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I work on the 14th floor – so taking the stairs works well :)

I walk around the building or the steps on my lunch break.

I offer to do errands and get up and stretch often.

Good Luck!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I am planning to try sitting on an exercise ball instead of an office chair.

^ This^ The only way to a guilt-free 8 hour stint at the desk.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yup, I sit at a desk job all day too, then I go and sit some more in class! I like to keep moving by taking a 15 minute walk around the building twice a day, and I also walk on my lunch break.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have a bike pedal thingy that I'm considering putting under my desk so I can keep my heart rate up. I tried sitting on my balance ball but it's too short.
  • brewedtea
    brewedtea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work in an office sitting 8 hours a day as well, and because of the environment I'm in, I can't have an exercise ball, or do mini workouts at my desk. I take the stairs up and down throughout the day, I wouldn't walk to the vending machine, as that would be too tempting for me! I'm trying to organize a walking group in my office, and use our breaks to take a 15 minute walk around the office/parking lot, something is always better than nothing!
  • NVRicochet3006
    NVRicochet3006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Getting up and moving is probably your best advice being given, but I did a quick search for "discrete office chair workouts” and this came up with some decent advice as well I thought.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/513012-discrete-exercises-you-can-do-sitting-in-a-chair/
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I want a treadmill desk like Al Roker has! That would be cool! :tongue:
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a cubicle/office/desk job and although it requires me to sit 8 hours a day, i will walk during breaks, plus since i am seemingly the only "man" in my department (although i am not) the ladies usually come to me when they need cases of paper brought to them. I find workout in anything i can, i also go to the gym in the morning so that helps. I am trying to get my boss to permit me to purchase and bring the "workout chair" as seen on Steve Harvey to work.. no such luck yet lol but i am working on them

http://www.coolthings.com/gymgym-exercise-chair/