High Fat Content

sweetbn
sweetbn Posts: 318
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So in reviewing my past few weeks, I have noticed I am consistently over in my fat.

I am aiming for 10% of my calories which seems to be turning out to be an unreasonable goal.

Either that, or I should stop eating Krispy Kreme? (I'm sure this is the blunt of my problem) Also, since I went to a Chinese buffet last night it couldn't have helped either.

What are your fat goals set to? Should I leave them at 10% to try to encourage myself to skip the donuts, or raise them slightly? I am not going over my calories (for the most part)

My food diary is public if you are interested.

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    This is a hard to give you a solid answer.

First-I would skip the krispy kreme. Not always, just don't eat it every day.

Second-where are your fats coming from? Avacados and nuts? Don't worry about it.

Potato chips and bean dip? You might consider eliminating the high saturated fat foods and start looking for healthier choices.

One thing to note-if you start filling your body with healthy foods, usually you'll start craving them.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i think 10% fat is too low. it is recommended that you consume between 20% to 30% fat unless under the direction of a doctor. too low of a fat consumption can mess with your hormones and put undue stress on your body. what is your protein and carb intake set for?
    dawn
  • ErikaSudz
    ErikaSudz Posts: 26
    Well, do you think Krispy Kreme is worth 16 grams of fat? You could eat a ton of other foods that are low in fat and would fill you up. If you love them and absolutely do not want to give them up I would limit them to one day a week. My weakness is sweetarts and chocolate. I haven't had chocolate in what seems like forever but I do allow myself some sweetarts to kill my sugar craving. They are zero fat. I watch my fat intake, sodium and overall calories.

Good luck,

Erika
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I would say too low. Mine is currently set at 30% and I've yet to go over it. Most days I'm under by about 10g. I still eat a bit of chocolate every day, but balance it out with good fats (like those found in avocado and almonds). I would say start at 30% and decrease it 5% every month or so.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    10% is kind of low... you could lose your gallbladder if you lose weight rapidly (and that includes 1-2 lb. a week) and aren't getting enough fat.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I agree that 10% is low. I don't eat fried foods or really terrible foods, but I am always near or over the limit on fat per day (I should say that I eat a lot of peanut butter). I have mine set at 25% I think. Healthy fat is essential in your diet, it allows for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, K, and E. I don't think you should be getting this fat from Krispy Kreme though! :laugh: Think olive oil and nuts and avocado :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I think a lot of the "low fat" craze in marketing has made us fat-phobic. l like a little fat in my food and I think it helps keep me satiated longer than without. I aim for about 30% of my calories from fat and I typically am at about that. I avoid all transfats and try to keep saturated fat as low as possible. Most of the fat in my diet comes from my love of peanut butter and nuts as well as the olive oil I use sparingly in cooking.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Thanks everyone - I think I will adjust it higher as a goal but still try to cut back. (I just LOOOVE my donuts - especially during my TOM).
This discussion has been closed.