success stories with just food, no exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight primarily from diet. I do a little light exercise, but nothing major. Have lose 23lbs so far doing that. I presume that the closer to goal I get the more exercise I'll need to add in. For now it's working fine for me though which is great considering the chronic fatigue, chronic pain and other medical shizzle I have going on.
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you should be at least walking daily. Just start with 15 minutes. My dog helps me to want to walk, even when its only 20 degrees out.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs. without exercise. Well I have to walk to different departments at work. And I occasionally (rarely) walk my dogs. But I really don't like to call that exercise.

I will eventually add jogging to the mix, but that's when I stall or get close to my goal.
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds on just dietary changes. I "exercise" by dealing with my two small kids, baths, play and walks. Now that I've lost a total of 35 pounds I need to exercies to lose the other 20 because my body is too happy at this weight.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said here. Once you get the small goals into your daily routine, adding exercise will come in time. I started back on track Jan 1st and gave up soda cold turkey. I then challenged myself to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

I am now very comfortable not drinking soda and drinking the water.

I'm starting to think about adding exercise. I liked what skyeliz said about not having to like something b/c someone else likes it. I can't tell you how many times I've started Couch 2 5k and never finished because I hate running.

There. I said it. I HATE RUNNING! I don't think that will ever change and since my last foot surgery (2009) ruined my right foot for life, I hate it even more. So why do I try to convince myself that I will start to like it. I won't.

So tonight, instead of starting that program, again, I'm just going to take my dog on a nice brisk walk. We will both get so much enjoyment over that!

Thank you for starting this post. It feels good to say it out loud that I hate running! LOL (no offense to those of you who enjoy it.)
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I can't tell you how many times I've started a new "diet" all gung-ho and doing everything perfectly - and I've burned out just as many times, although the last time I lasted a whole 8 weeks!

I know what my downfalls are and I have a plan to counteract every one of them this time:
    1) If I do too much too fast, I'll burn out. Plan of action: take it one step at a time! This isn't a race! So what if I get skinny fat and then have to spend the next year building muscle? I know the alternative means I'll probably give up entirely, so temporary skinny fat is the lesser of two evils.

2) I need to EAT, or I'll give up. Every diet I've tried, with the exception of Atkins, has had me eating 1200/cal/day or less. And I'll do fine for a while but then I'll get stressed at work, or super happy at home, or some ridiculous made up reason to celebrate will throw me right off track and cause a binge, which will then be followed by another binge. And another. This time, I'm eating 1500 calories per day, staying full all the time, and I feel great! I even lost 4lbs my first week.

3) I get bored. I eat the same things day after day because I can't be bothered to take the time to constantly re-plan my meals. Then I start to get bored and start buying lunches at work and eating poorly. This time, I'm keeping the same premise but I found an organics company that will deliver a mixed box of veggies once a week. I don't know what's coming, so it's a challenge to figure out what to do with the random things that show up at my door.

4) For now, I am shallow, I am superficial, and I need to see the scale go down. When I work out, it doesn't. So for now, until I've lost a lot of my excess fat and I'm in a comfortable routine, I'm not working out. I know that's stupid, I should care more about recomposing my body, etc. but it's the truth - for now I need constant reassurance that the scale is going the right way.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I did it the opposite way. I started going to gym for free to try it out with a friend and got into really enjoying it... and once I was used to it I started eating better and reducing cals and it made the gym seem even more worthwhile going! Awesome that the reverse works for you though!
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WOW THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!!!!! I HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT MY CHOICES.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL XOXOXO
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Exercise to maintain muscles and it does make you feel better but don't if you feel like you can't yet, eventually you will feel like you want to and you will exercise just for fun.
  • treasurewealth
    treasurewealth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Freedom125 wrote: »
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I can't tell you how many times I've started a new "diet" all gung-ho and doing everything perfectly - and I've burned out just as many times, although the last time I lasted a whole 8 weeks!

I know what my downfalls are and I have a plan to counteract every one of them this time:
    1) If I do too much too fast, I'll burn out. Plan of action: take it one step at a time! This isn't a race! So what if I get skinny fat and then have to spend the next year building muscle? I know the alternative means I'll probably give up entirely, so temporary skinny fat is the lesser of two evils.

2) I need to EAT, or I'll give up. Every diet I've tried, with the exception of Atkins, has had me eating 1200/cal/day or less. And I'll do fine for a while but then I'll get stressed at work, or super happy at home, or some ridiculous made up reason to celebrate will throw me right off track and cause a binge, which will then be followed by another binge. And another. This time, I'm eating 1500 calories per day, staying full all the time, and I feel great! I even lost 4lbs my first week.

3) I get bored. I eat the same things day after day because I can't be bothered to take the time to constantly re-plan my meals. Then I start to get bored and start buying lunches at work and eating poorly. This time, I'm keeping the same premise but I found an organics company that will deliver a mixed box of veggies once a week. I don't know what's coming, so it's a challenge to figure out what to do with the random things that show up at my door.

4) For now, I am shallow, I am superficial, and I need to see the scale go down. When I work out, it doesn't. So for now, until I've lost a lot of my excess fat and I'm in a comfortable routine, I'm not working out. I know that's stupid, I should care more about recomposing my body, etc. but it's the truth - for now I need constant reassurance that the scale is going the right way.

Thanks a lot. I gained from this write up. It all applies to me especially no. 2.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Here. No exercise (other than N.E.A.T. exercise) and down 71+ pounds (took about 8-9 or so months). I blasted at least 85-90% percent from diet and the rest from N.E.A.T. exercising. In case you don't know what N.E.A.T. exercise is, I copied this from another post:

NEAT (I LOVE that), it stands for: (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). This NEAT business is so helping me burn fat and "get down to size",so to speak, much so much more--helping me to move this body of mine in ways that are not only helping me declutter and maintain my deculttering (daily), but helping me LET GO of a LOT of pounds and ounces in ways that are so helpful to me. I've been reading a thread on NEAT that is the bombdotcom on ideas and suggestions on how to get more NEAT in as we are decluttering the mess out of our lives.

I wanted to put that thread link on here, so in case you haven't seen it--get ready to be supper blessed and get some doable and tremendous ideas on burning more cals and getting slimmer and trimmer in every area of our lives, as we pursue the fabulous & fun "business" of being all about "NEAT"...literally and figuratively=BOOM! Here's the thread...check it out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss#latest

P.S. one of my NEAT activities(besides daily household chores) is walking to the store(instead of driving), carrying the groceries back. It's about a 2 or 3 or so mile back and forth and makes me feel like a champion too--walking to the store is so old school--I love it, it's "NEAT".
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I started calorie counting in the middle of a Minnesota winter. Lost the first 30 pounds sitting indoors, no exercise at all.

In the spring I started exercising simply because I wanted to. Even then it was just walking and some biking.
  • KellyLouiseGibson
    KellyLouiseGibson Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down with my weight all my life... I lose 3 stone gain 3 stone lose again etc.
    Not good.

I have lost weight and totally changed the shape of my body by eating healthy and exercising 5 days a week.

This time round I'm not currently not exercising but having 1100kcal a day (All healthy foods) No sugar!
    I have lost 6.5lbs in my first week and I'm now on my 2nd week and have lost another 6lbs.

I'm keeping it up until 3 stone has gone again and then I'll get myself a new hobby to introduce exercise :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!