Sore calf

Lady_C_the_1st
Lady_C_the_1st Posts: 208
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
My calf cramped quite badly after sleeping in a funny position yesterday, it is still quite tender, especially when I put weight on it. Is there anything aside from weights (which I will still do) that I can do. Any ideas for cardio? Thanks xx

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Have you stretched much today? That usually helps me. Its not a quick fix back to perfect but it does help. I guess something like hot or cold compresses might help too.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    For cardio, swimming or bike might not quite put as much strain on it.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    jw hit the nail on the head IMO, stretch it, compresses, rest it, and choose a less straining exercise, I'm partial to swimming when I've hurt myself a bit and need something gentler.
  • Thanks, swimming is a good idea, might give that a try tomorrow. :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Just a suggestion: to stretch out the calf, sit down, straighten your knee, and flex your foot toward your face (the opposite of pointing your toes). I used to pull my calf muscles ALL THE TIME in my sleep when I was growing up, and as soon as I did this, the pain would stop. You can also massage your calf while flexing your feet. ALSO, maybe try a calcium supplement. I've been achy lately, and that's the first thing I did. :smile: Take care!

PS - In regards to swimming, I actually pulled my calf muscle while swimming once, and I thought I was going to drown! (Cause you point your toes when you swim, usually.) :laugh: Luckily, it was in shallow water.
  • Grizzle, after my calf had eased up significantly from the other night, my other calf cramped last night! Argh! I think I need to look at my calcium, magnesium and potassium intake.
This discussion has been closed.