Tired of just walking/jogging and workout videos

mamacassi
mamacassi Posts: 131
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
It gets a little boring sometimes, I sort of want to change it up.
What are some other things that burn calories at about the same rate?
I've heard sports...but I honestly am a solitary creature (I know, awful).
I'm debating walking up my stairs like 100 times, or till I cry. Anything but just the same old.
(biking is totally out too... bad times lol)

Replies

• Can you join a gym? I'm a solitary person by nature as well but I really liked going to the gym. I would put on my ipod and zone people out! The elliptical might be a good workout for you.
  • mamacassi
    I've been in like 5 gyms and never went, that's why my treadmill has been old reliable lately.
    I just hate going and seeing all the skinny women, totally not motivating.
    If it wasn't winter I would swim, it used to be my favourite thing :(
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Zumba!
  • mamacassi
    Oh my god, another zumba!!! I always forget what that is, the word scares me.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Maybe a Wii? Lots of choices there, all kinds of games.
  • I guess i'm lucky. My gym is fantastic and i usually go around 5am because of my job. Everybody in obody really cares about what everyone else is doing, they're focused on themselves. And the fact that you're in there trying (just like everybody else) is totally admirable!
  • mamacassi
    I do have the wii... I feel dorky thinking of that. Hmm
  • RacheBell
    RacheBell Posts: 111
    Maybe go to a big park near you, and do some hiking? Find one with hills/mountains, and rough terrain. If you have a dog, they'd make a great companion, and usually you don't see a whole bunch of people. My family and I used to hike, and when we got to the top of the mountain, we'd bbq some hamburgers or steak. It was alot of fun, I wish my boyfriend liked to do those things. :(

Or maybe take up kayaking. There's alot of nature things you can do by yourself, and noone will bother you.

But trust me, at a gym, noone is looking at you. They are more concerned about themselves, and I bet all those skinny women are thinking the same thing you are.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    How about:

biking (spin class at the Y or outdoors in your neighborhood)
    dancing (in a class or in your living room)
    TRX (if you don't know what that is, go here: http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/). I hang mine on the bedroom door and work away - I love it much more than workout videos
    Crossfit - high intensity but short - you can get workouts off the internet or start at a Crossfit gym to learn good form, then strike out on your own.
    Circuit training at a local park (one of those ones with various stations you can workout at and run in between them)
    bowling (just don't think of it as an excuse to drink beer and eat fried foods :wink:)
    ice skating, roller skating
    swimming (Lap swimming is solitary, but, if you want to swim outside and it's cold, wear a wetsuit or join a polar bear club and be one of those loons who swims in freezing water :laugh:)

Also, if you have cable, a lot of the companies have workout videos "on demand" and it's a good way to get some variety without having to spend a lot on new DVDs
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I've been in like 5 gyms and never went, that's why my treadmill has been old reliable lately.
    I just hate going and seeing all the skinny women, totally not motivating.
    If it wasn't winter I would swim, it used to be my favourite thing :(

I dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy: (Maybe you could try dancing to some favorite fast music of yours.)
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and you can even watch tv at the same time, so you'de never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
  • mamacassi
    I need wii fit, lol. I think I have the sports. but thanks for the reminder!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    jump rope (fabulous fabulous cardio)....incorporate into your walking some "sprints" - meaning walk for a minute then sprint (or run) for a minute etc...do a walk for a minute then do jump jacks for a minute, walk for a minute then do side crossovers (walking sideways crossing your legs in front of you), then walk and then do walking lunges (both legs) - then do this a few more times you will have gotten your heart rate up and made your walk go by quicker.
    As for workout videos -- set up your workout area as stations....1. jump jacks 2. shoulder weights (cans, milk jogs, books- if you dont have weights) 3. jump rope 4 bicep weights (whatever you have around the house) 4 push ups 5 triceps (large spaghetti sauce jar over head) 6. steps etc etc...use household things put some music on and just go!
This discussion has been closed.