Measurements

RacheBell
RacheBell Posts: 111
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I think I'm doing it wrong. I never get the same measurements twice. Can someone please explain to me how to take my measurements? Maybe where the waist actually is, and hips. I know, pretty dumb question to ask, but any answers would be helpful.

Replies

• I was told 2 in above your belly button, and around the widest part of your hips. But ?? I just keep measuring in the same places and getting results, lol. Hopefully someone has a good clear answer!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    It can be difficult to be consistent. I try to pick some "landmark". For example, decide upon a certain number of inches up from your knee is where you will take your thigh measurement each time. Or say "waist at narrowest part" or "hips at widest part." It isn't an exact science but I think it gets easier the more you practice.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    This is how I do it, the key is consistency really.

Chest: Right under boobs
    Waist: 1 inch above belly button/smallest part of torso
    Hips: 5” below belly button
    Thigh: Mid-point between knee and hip (half-way up leg)
    Calf: Half-way between ankle and knee
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    be careful that you aren't pulling too tight on the tape measure. you don't want to compress any of the tissue underneath the tape measure, you just want to lightly lay the tape measure on the skin. also, make sure to look at the back in the mirror and make sure it is in a straight line.

i have a very good knowledge of human anatomy, so i am able to find bony landmarks such as the greater trochanter of the femur (leg) bottom of the ribcage, and hipbones. For someone who does not have that knowledge, i would suggest things such as the belly button and the widest part of the hips.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    hips = top of hip bone
    waist (for men) = at belly button
    waist (for women) = at smallest part of belly or slightly above belly button.
    chest = under breasts
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Bend left and right, you'll get an indent in your side. That's where I always measure my waist. 8 inches below that is where I always measure my hips. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.