Eating your calories from working out back???

2»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.

Do you really think that working out has no purpose other than burning calories and causing weight loss?

If your goal is to lose weight, yes.

If you're trying to lose weight and you work out then eat your calories back...what's the point of working out?

Just sayin'. Not trying to start any s**t with anyone here. To each his own, I'm not judging or criticizing.
    To be fitter?

To preserve your lean body mass?

To have the body you want at the end?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    As a general rule, you should eat your calories back. The number MFP gives to is net calories, so calories - exercise = net.

If you're not hungry, you don't necessarily need to eat them back, but I find I'm often not very hungry after a intense workout and know I need to eat, so I'll usually make myself eat anyway.
  • If your net calories for the day ends up being below your BMR (for example: I'm 5'1 with about 35 lbs to lose, so my BMR is listed around the 1400 range, and my TDEE-20% is about 1600), I assume it would be a good idea to eat at least some of your burned calories so that you are not below your BMR.

But if your net calories for the day ends up being above your BMR, and you are not hungry or too far from your TDEE-20%, you should probably not eat those calories back.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want bad info circulating.
  • In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.

Do you really think that working out has no purpose other than burning calories and causing weight loss?

If your goal is to lose weight, yes.

If you're trying to lose weight and you work out then eat your calories back...what's the point of working out?

Just sayin'. Not trying to start any s**t with anyone here. To each his own, I'm not judging or criticizing.

You might change your mind in 20-25 pounds. Just sayin.