Upping my running and gaining weight.

workoutqueen628
workoutqueen628 Posts: 220
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been running for the past 5 years- usually about 3 miles. I have just recently started increasing my mileage to about 4 to 5, sometimes even 6 miles. I am running more because I am training for a 10k, but I was thinking that the extra miles would shed a few lbs as well. Instead, i am at my heaviest and it seems i have gained about 3-5 lbs. Why is this? Anyone else found they have gained weight as they increase their mileage? Doesn't really make sense to me because my outake is greater than my intake- i should be losing!

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    I gained ten pounds training for a marathon. This is normal, as you are developing new muscle.
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    My boyfriend and I started P90X 3 weeks ago and we both gained about 10 pounds. Someone explained to me that your body adds water weight to protect your muscles as you start to increase your workouts. Basically, your muscles freak out on you. It will eventually go down. Mine is just starting too. It's really frustrating! But I'm sure you're better in the long run. Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Make sure you are eating back some of the calories you burn so that you can help your muscles replenish and grow. Double check your net cals and make sure they're above 1200 every day. If you're consistently below 1200 net cals, you can stall and even gain weight.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    I have run 4 marathons in the past 2 years and I can tell you I have had the same problem. Its because the more miles you run the more stress you put on your system and the greater your appetite becomes. Its very easy to think that you will burn it off running, but you still need to pay really close attention to how many calories are consumed versus burned. When I run training runs over 14 miles my body really takes a beating and its really hard to not over eat my alloted calories for the day, and thats after adding the additional calories I'm allowed for running. You have to learn to eat foods that will fuel your body and keep you under your calorie limit, pay close attention to your carb and protein totals each day and make sure you eat the correct ammount of each.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I'm experiencing the same issue- just upped my running and my weight training and have been gaining small amounts here andt here... hoping it goes away soon! :grumble:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I echo all the comments so far. Perhaps paying attention to other body measurements will help you know what is happening to your body. ie: hips, waist etc.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Same problem for me. I've been training for a sprint tri, and with all the swimming, biking, and running, along with my clothes fitting loser, I thought I was losing weight. My brother even said I'm looking thin. All happy and excited, I jumped on the scale. I've gained 5 pounds! Not exactly what I wanted to see.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    That scale can sometimes be a very dark place...Stay motivated and keep running. Your body will love you for it!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    3-5 lbs! I bet you drink that much after running.

I agree with BigDawg, train, watch the calories, and the rest will take care of itself.
This discussion has been closed.