Mirena and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone i am going crazy... I had Mirena put in all the lady's might know what it is it is a type of birth control the insert in your body. Does anyone have it or something like this and is gaining weight or gained weight or having a hard time lossing weight/ I need help losing weight i just keep gaining when i had it put in i was 141 now i am 153 and i am only 5 foot tall i am miserable please help i need motivation and advise should i get it taken out what can i do to drop the weight i want to be 135 by the summer please please someone help me thank you all for reading this means a lot

Replies

• hbuffing
    hbuffing Posts: 23
    Options
    I would be careful with the Mirena. I currently have it but I am getting it out. The side effects from it are horrible. I have hair loss, insomnia, IBS, anxiety, depression.... etc. It is really messing with my body. There are other alternatives for birth control. I would recommend getting it removed and trying a pill or something.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have had it since April and did not notice any weight gain. I have been able to loose 23 since Jan, so weight loss is possible. Sides effects for me . . . . only cramping. Nice not having to worry about birth control for 5 years!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have had it in for a year and have had no problems whatsoever. I did have a weight gain of about 10-12 pounds within a month, but it was nearly 8 months after I had it implanted so I don't really think it was related to the Mirena. It was coincidentally about a month after Halloween, soooo...I think it was the kit kats I ate too many of catching up with me :tongue:

I don't really have any advise as to whether you should take it out as I'm sure each person can have different effects from it, but I personally love it and would maybe look first for other culprits as to the weight gain. If you consider other alternatives though, my Dr said that the Implanion (I think that's what it's called) that goes in your arm has the same level of hormones etc. as the Mirena so if you decide to go with something else, that may not be an option for you either as you would likely experience the same effects.
  • skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    have you tried nuvaring? i had bad side effects for the first couple of weeks but i've loved it ever since.
  • nikkiboo1924
    nikkiboo1924 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    idk what to do i just read a lot of reviews on weight gain with mirena... nut a few of u said u were able to lose weight with it idk what to do thank you all for the advice
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    I have had mirena for about 3 1/2 years. Any weight I gained was because of what I was eating. I have lost about 9 lbs. since starting MFP.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena since May 09'....and I've lost over 100lbs. since then, with it in! I have heard women complain of weight gain, and everybody is different, but my honest opinion is that if you decrease your calorie intake dramatically & watch EVERY single thing you put into your mouth, there is no way you could gain, unless you have a serious medical problem! Best of luck!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    The NuvaRing caused me to lose my hair a lot, like it came out in clumps. Hormonal birth control scares me now. Have you considered the Paragard? It's like the Mirena but has no hormones.
  • mrsdv
    mrsdv Posts: 13
    Options
    I have had my Mirena for over a year and did not gain any weight. This was a concern for me as well since I had read about people having problems with weight gain. I have lost close to 30 pounds since August and I am 50 years old so it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I have had mirena for about 3 1/2 years. Any weight I gained was because of what I was eating. I have lost about 9 lbs. since starting MFP.

Me too! I've had it about the same amount of time and any gain was due to what I ate. I have had no problems losing weight either. Best of luck.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I had mine inserted in Nov and I've lost about 15 lbs since then. I was losing before and getting the Mirena didn't affect it at all. I love mine!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Any birth control that has high levels of estrogen will make you gain weight. I opted for the NuvaRing because of this. I haven't gained any weight because of it.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Unfortunatly with ANY birth control there is a possibility for weight gain depending on how your body reacts to it. Even the low dose birth control pills still come with the risk of weight gain. All you can do is make sure you are eating right and exercising and see how it goes.
  • bookoholic
    Options
    I would be careful with the Mirena. I currently have it but I am getting it out. The side effects from it are horrible. I have hair loss, insomnia, IBS, anxiety, depression.... etc. It is really messing with my body. There are other alternatives for birth control. I would recommend getting it removed and trying a pill or something.
    unfortantly for me this and the progesterin pill is the only thing i can go on.
  • bookoholic
    Options
    Any birth control that has high levels of estrogen will make you gain weight. I opted for the NuvaRing because of this. I haven't gained any weight because of it.
    merina has no estrogen in it
  • nikkiboo1924
    nikkiboo1924 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone sooo the mirena is OUT!!!!!!!!! yayyy on Wednesday i was weighed in at the doctors 154lbs and had the mirena remove. Today is now Saturday and i am down to 147 after the doctor was a jerk about there was no way i gained weight from it or it maid me look pregnant i guess everyone is different but for me horrible thank you all
  • psychicteabag
    psychicteabag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This thread has been an eye opener for me. I had the Mirena fitted May last year. I was overweight then, by about 20lbs. I started exercising and watching what I ate in August and I've really struggled to lose the weight. I've always been slow to put on weight but can lose it quite quickly once I put my mind to it.

I have been complaining about how hard it has been to lose the weight this time around and how unusual it is that I have carried a lot of it round my stomach as it normally goes on evenly all over. After reading this thread, I researched Mirena and weight gain and it's a big side effect.

I'm going to keep going on mfp and see if I can get more weight off. If I stick at around this point, I will consider getting it removed. I would rather not as then I would be stuck with the problem I had before, which is the main reason I had the Mirena fitted.
  • cpmsab
    cpmsab Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, i know this is an old blog but i was hoping you could tell me something, did you continue to lose weight after the mirena was removed? I can't lose weight for the life of me since getting it in, I had my 2nd baby and was down to my weight before i got pregnant, went back to work gained a little, had mirena put in now i can't get it off no matter how well i eat :( I know WW works for me but that even failed.....so i wanted to see if you continued to lose after?? Thanks :)
  • Evadiva567
    Options
    Hello,

I got the Mirena in January. I thought I was having a hard time dropping weight - but I was eating a lot and not exercising. I have since reduced my food intake and exercised a little (a real little) and I have loss 10lbs in a month- now in all fairness - I have a high metabolism- so I may be unique, and at first I was concerned- but since reading tat other people have loss weight I feel better.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Condoms--Hormone free.