5K tips?

Options
I have been doing C25K, and I am running my first 5K race this coming Saturday morning. This will be my first time doing anything like this, so I wondered if any of the experienced runners on here had any tips for me for dealing with an actual race day? The thing I am most concerned about is maintaining my pace - I am worried that I'll be all pumped & start off too fast, and then burn out towards the end.

TIA for all your advice!!!

Replies

• HulaCherry
    Options
    First of all, just breathe! Take in the moment. It's so exciting. And remember that the only person you are competing with is yourself. If you've got a heart rate monitor that will help you keep in check. Otherwise, wear a watch. If you notice that you are approaching the 1 mile mark a lot faster than you expected, pull back a little. You are definitely going to get caught up in the moment, but try not to burn all your juice in the first part.

Have fun!!! Let us know how you do. :-) I've got a 5K on Sunday!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K, and I am running my first 5K race this coming Saturday morning. This will be my first time doing anything like this, so I wondered if any of the experienced runners on here had any tips for me for dealing with an actual race day? The thing I am most concerned about is maintaining my pace - I am worried that I'll be all pumped & start off too fast, and then burn out towards the end.

TIA for all your advice!!!

Great thread! I have my first fun run on the 20th and I am so nervous and scared but totally excited!
  • Eddie813
    Eddie813 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will do great...... Just keep a steady pace. JT and I will be at the finish line rooting you on to finish. I am so proud of you
  • mford8009
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have ran in a few 5k's. Of course you are going to be excited, just as I was for my first race and all the other ones but just don't get overly excited. Make sure you don't start off really fast because then you might find yourself getting tired before the end. Since it is your first don't worry about your time just worry about finishing, that is all that matters. There will be people there that may take off at the beginning and then you will end up finshing before them because you kept your pace!! Good Luck!! I can't wait until my next race!!