Does setting weekly/monthly short-term goals help?

Options
I was just wondering as some people say to do it to keep focus, but others say don't as it can put you off if you don't reach it. I obviously have a goal weight to reach by summer, but I was wondering if setting small goal weights e.g. I want to be xxx by end of March helps/works from your experience? Thanks!

Replies

• withers102011
    Options
    Definitely set small goals! I go by 5 pound increments. It feels so good every time I get to cross it off on my goal list! It motivates you more and helps you to reach your ultimate goal!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Small term goals have really helped me stay on track. I have a lot of weight to lose and when I look at the big number it can be daunting. I started looking at it in 10lbs increments. That seemed so much more achievable and kept me focused and motivated.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't find it helpful to set up deadlines for goals. In my opinion, it is more helpful to reward yourself on just weight, exercise, etc. goals reached, period.
  • hixbridge
    Options
    I've been doing this for a long time. One of the sites I'm involved in does 6-week challenges that push us to make 4 achievable goals and with the help from other members we all work to achieve them. If you do decide to make goals, make them achievable, the most important part. I think partially the idea of short term goals is once you succeed, you know you can succeed again and again and it'll push you to a better lifestyle and more esteem.