UPDATE: I don't want a big wedding...how do I stop this???

Options
Maris_Swan
Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
First of all, thank you so much for your feedback! I cannot believe how many thoughtful responses I received and it really gave me that boost to stick to my guns and not back down when it comes to our wedding.

My Fiance and I chatted and we talked about what was important for us with the wedding. While it's not his Mother that will have an issue with the non-church wedding, his Grandparents will have a very difficult time with that. They are lovely people and neither of us are trying to burn any bridges. I can respect that.

We are sticking to our date and with the church, and we will have the ceremony followed by a lunch reception. That will be over about 2pm, and we imagine we'll have about 100 people invited.

In the evening we will reconvene with close friends and family only for a casual celebration (and where we can do some proper elbow bending in a non-formal environment as to not offend anyone). Most of my family lives 2 hours away so this is going to work out perfectly as only those that really want to be there, will be there.

I feel relieved. My fiance told me that his mother felt overwhelmed after the bridal show yesterday, and that was music to my ears. She wants something simple and easy, too. Ahhhh. I'm going to relax now! :)

Thank you all :)

Replies

• nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you're happy, then we're happy for you :)
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    yay!!
    Good news!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I see you ignored my advice..
  • Maris_Swan
    Options
    If you're happy, then we're happy for you :)

thank you :) we are cancelling our original reception place, which was a major stresser for me
    lots and lots of expense there. With the church lunch reception, we can cater in appetizers, still have a cake, toasts, and not be STRESSED about the size of the guestlist--my reason for going the other direction with small and intimate to avoid that.

We are a little more free to invite, and not offend. Like I mentioned, my family is based hours away, so to not invite them at all didn't sit well. at least now they have the option.

I am looking forward to the evening gathering, too. We are really both very happy with this turn of events :)
  • Maris_Swan
    Options
    I see you ignored my advice..

I did, sorry!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Now I can sleep
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Now I can sleep

Impossibru - not with all the evil taters on the loose!
  • Maris_Swan
    Options
    Now I can sleep

I know, right. I felt the need to wrap it up though. It's life, sometimes you just really need advice and that's exactly what I got and I appreciate that.