Calculating my TDEE and calories

Options
Recently I've been very hungry throughout the day and I'm wondering if MFP has my calories set too low. I'm currently at 1400 cals/day.

My height is 5'5", weight 159 and I exercise 5 days a week at an average of 35 minutes. Oh and I'm female.

I went to a TDEE calculator website and it calculated it as 2369. Am I correct that I should eat about 20% less than my TDEE to lose weight? 20% of my TDEE is 473.8, so roughly 1895 calories a day?

I'm just nervous to overeat, but there has definitely been a lull in my weight loss so I'm wondering if this could be why.

Replies

• nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I recently posted a very similar thing.
    I increased my calories from 1200 to 1600. Within 24 hours, I had lost a pound.
    I say, yes, increase em!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most people over-estimate their exercise level, and underestimate how much they eat.

so i'd go back to that TDEE calculator and maybe drop back a level, so if you put in "highly active" you should but down lightly ac active. then subtract 20%.

but remember, these numbers are guess. you have to experiment for yourself. i don't add exercise calories, but i don't worry too much about going a few hundred calories over my daily goal, because it all balances out.

your body works on a weekly basis, rather then a day-to-day basis. this means that if you go over your calories by 500 on monday, and then on tuesday and wednesday you are under by 250 each day, it all balances out.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes definately increase with that much activity your body isn't getting enough fuel.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. Then I got a BodyMedia FIT and started syncing it with MFP. so much better! it automatically figures what you have been burning and then adjust MFP for you based on your activity! great way to go! Better results!
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    And how do I change my calories on MFP?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

go to settings...
  • beaglelover12
    Options

go to settings...

Yes, thank you for that brilliant response. I already did and can't see where to change my calorie level. Perhaps you could be more specific.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

go to settings...

Yes, thank you for that brilliant response. I already did and can't see where to change my calorie level. Perhaps you could be more specific.

try going to setting again. look at some of the options... experiment, just like with your calorie intake.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Go to "My Home" tab then click on Goals, then Change Goals then click on custom. I think that covers it...haven't gone through that in a while.
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It is under the goal section i believe.
  • beaglelover12
    Options

Go to "My Home" tab then click on Goals, then Change Goals then click on custom. I think that covers it...haven't gone through that in a while.

Awesome! Thanks. Goals was the way to get to it. Appreciate your help.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories yesterday to 20% below my TDEE, so I'm going to try this for awhile and see what happens.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    -_-
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at what you are eating. Are you getting enough protein and healthy fats? I am insulin resistant and find that all carbs/starches are not created equal when it comes to calories and wieght loss.