Yummy Vegan Chili (I swear, it tastes like there's meat!)

Options
Beastmilk
Beastmilk Posts: 14 Member
I used to be a Vegan, but this has been a tasty stand-by for me for years. It's all about the spices.

Shopping list:
3 cans light red kidney beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 bag morningstar crumbles
2 green peppers
1 green onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic, or a few cloves chopped
Chili Powder
(Check my spice list below, they're not all necessary but I think they are what makes it tasty)

Get out yer can opener, and open everything, but make sure to drain the liquid from the beans, and the liquid from one can of tomatoes (if you like it a little thinner, skip the last part). Dump it all in a big pot.

Chop the green pepper and onion, as small or chunky as you'd like. I'd encourage you to do as small as your knife will let you. Empty it into the pot.

Open up your morningstar crumbles and add it as well. Add 2 tbsp garlic and stir.

Turn on your burner to medium/medium-high to start the process. While the frozen crumbles are warming up, get out the following spices:

Chili Powder
Cumin
Salt & Pepper
Cumin
Curry
Cinnamon Sugar

Unfortunately I'm guessing as to how much these are, as I don't really measure the spices.

Add about 1 to 2 tbsp of chili powder
2 tsp of cumin
Healthy amount of salt and pepper
1 tsp curry
1 tsp cinnamon sugar

By this time the pot should be bubbling. Reduce the heat to medium low, and keep an eye on it to make sure the beans don;t stick to the bottom of the pot. Stir often, and it should be ready in about a half hour or when the beans are slighty firm and tender.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I second that; sounds yummy! I would have never thought of adding the cinnamon sugar. Nice touch!:smile:
  • joelle1168
    Options
    I use the crumbles all the time and my family cant tell the difference. Its great for any recipe you would use browned ground beef in.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    what are morning star crumbles? ive never heard of them in aussie??