Tips for a future half marathoner?

Options
Looking for advice for those who have completed a half or full marathon -

I'm planning on running the Houston half marathon next January. I comfortably run a 5k now (multiple/week) and regularly run longer distances (at least once a week, I do 6-10 miles of mostly running). I've never been a runner, but I'm really enjoying the freedom that comes with being able to run longer distances and want to do a half before my 30th birthday.

What are your tips/tricks/advice on preparing for a half?

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you already have a great base - keep it up and do some research on training plans that you're comfortable with. If you're already running 10 you're well prepared for a half.

If you're going for time try to slowly increase your weekly mileage and in the next several months do a few other races (5 and 10ks) for time. You can use those finishing times to predict your half and help you decide on a pace.

:)
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    I did my first half in november and I loved it! I didnt really follow a training plan just kind of winged it on my own. I run three days a week with my long run being on sunday. When I first started out I just added a mile to my long run every week untill I got to 10. Although my advice to you would be train past 10! Everyone always says that 10 is all you need and that your adrenaline will get you through the last 3.1. I struggled that 3.1! Also I was starving at mile 6! so maybe bring a snack with you or get used to those gels. I have never taken the gel and they were handing them out along the way but I as afraid to eat them because i didnt know if it would make me sick or not. So maybe try one before or during one of your long runs now and see how your body responds to it. One other thing I would have done differently was I would have dressed in layers. It was cold in the morning during my race so I wore long sleeves and I was burning up at about mile 4 but couldnt take anything off because i didnt have anything under it. Good luck! With the exception of giving birth to my two beautiful daughters, completing that half marathon was the proudest and most accomplished ive ever felt of myself! Its an awesome feeling!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in nov 2012, and my second in dec 2012, and I have never been a runner (though I guess I am now). train for it. I trained for three months. Plenty of time to be completely honest. take 2 rest days a week. I mean rest. go for a walk or do an easy yoga class for active recovery, but your body needs the rest (this is something I have to force myself to do). Pace yourself. my goal (for both of them) was just to finish.I didn't care about the time. don't pressure yourself with a time. just do 'to finish'. I've heard if you can run a 10k, you can do a half marathon. guess it's true. :) oh, and train on the type of terrain you'll be running for your race (i.e. if there are hills, incorporate hills into your training.). simulate the water stations every two miles, stop and have a drink, walk for 30 seconds to a minute at each 2 mile mark while you're training). Train slow. helps train your body to burn fat instead of just carbs, which is very important in running distance. I trained up to 11miles.... and was fine with the half's. OH, and train with gu's. you'll need them during the half, so might as well get used to them. if you're not bringing your own to the race, familiarize yourself with the brand they'll be giving out at the race, so you're used to their taste. Oh and for the half, wear outer layers you can shed - and toss on the street because you'll get hot, and want to shed a layer or two. :)
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've done a great job so far!

You have quite a bit of time between now and the run. The best thing you can do is follow a consistent training plan. I'd check out Hal Higdon's training plans. There are a bunch of free ones on his site. You would want to start about 14 weeks out from the event date.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The bigger base you can develop before you start a training plan the better you will run the race. Average weekly running volume is the strongest influencer of aerobic fitness.

The appropriate average weekly running volume for a beginner half marathon runner is 35 to 40 miles per week.* If you want to have a good race you should work towards building your weekly volume to that level and be comfortable running it before the training plan starts.

*Source: Run Faster From the 5K to the the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach, by Matt Fitzgerald and Brad Hudson
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If your weekly long run is already 6-10 miles, I think you could prepare for a half marathon much sooner than a year from now! With a year to prepare you will have lots of time to increase your aerobic fitness and will be amazing in your first half! I am currently using a Hal Higdon training plan (also training for my first half marathon) and really like it.