carbs and cravings

Options
Does anybody have any tips on controlling carb cravings? I yearn for cookies and cupcakes all the time. I have purchased some of those 100 calorie snack packs but I know I shouldn't be eating them. I have tried eating fruit to replace the cookies and cupcakes, but I find myself in the kitchen looking for somthing else.

For anyone living the healthy lifestyle for more than a few months, do these intense cravings ever go away?

Replies

• plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I find that if you keep your carbs low for a few days you get over the cravings, I ate about 30/day for about a week and have no cravings at all now.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Agreed. When I lowered my carbs, I eliminated the cravings. When you want something sweet, eat some olives.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello with a little whip cream is good too :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat enough overall calories and fill yourself up on satiating foods - lean protein and healthy fats at every meal and snack, loads of fibre and water rich foods, at least nine servings a day of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables. If that is not enough add in modest servings of the lowest glycaemic index carbs - beans, lentils and barley. Don't feed sugar cravings with sugars in any form, most fruits won't spike your blood sugar fast enough to trigger 'happy hormones'. Also be aware certain starchy carbs turn to sugar quickly in the body so feed into sugar addiction/ cravings.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When you lower your carbs, eating more healthy fats helps with cravings (which, by the way, are purely psychological).