I wish our status could have a nutrition grade

Options

Replies

• lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I really don't care who looks at my food journal... I do this for myself! if others want to go ahead and judge how I eat my calories, thats fine with me... At the end of the day only what I do and how I feel counts! Not comments from others...
    I thought keeping the food journal open was to help others when we hit a wall?
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Make it easier for others to judge us

This. If you want to track nutritional content, you can use macros in your diary.
    And honestly we all know a 20 oz bottle of coke is not as good for us as an apple.

Today I left my lovely packed lunch on the kitchen counter and ate a cupcake at work because I didn't have money to buy anything else. Life happens. I will still lose fat if I'm eating under my TDEE, and I still know I will be healthier the more foods I eat that are rich in important nutrients.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No..just no. No no no...NO.

Why? Because I didn't join to get graded. Also - not every MFPer here follows the same weight loss path. Some eat "healthy"..some mix it up with junk and fast food. Others are on Paleo. Others on whatever fad is going on. Grading each other is just asking for drama.

So again..NO

reverse-1253886001_office-no_zpsce199fd0.gif

ETA: People will find what works for them. If someone can fit in that chocolate cake or 100oz of soda and they are still losing. Cool. Is it the healthiest choice? No..but guess what..It's their business. Some people also work to make changes slowly. Some people will ask to be "criticized" as motivation while others are fine doing whatever it is they want. Basically - they'll let you know.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've checked out Calorie Count before. Their grades are garbage. Who would even come up with grades for the tens of thousands of items in the database? And who would get to judge/vote what they should be? If you're going to "grade" someone's diet it should be as a whole, on a daily basis or even on a weekly basis. My diet is pretty good but I bet I'd be getting an F every day according to sites like that.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Interesting reactions.

I'm in this for the long hall. I have 100 pounds to lose. My thought is if I have a problem with someone "judging" me then I'm not going to continue to have them as my friend. I really don't want to be told, "great job!" when I've eaten very poorly even though I am under calories. That's not a friend to me.

I know it isn't completely accurate. For example some people consider honey much more healthy than white sugar.

I could go to CalorieCount, but I have the support I want here and that is more important to me.

It could be set up so you could choose the grade private just like everything else so if it didn't work for you then you wouldn't use it.
    <<<<<<<<<Lost over 100 lbs *without* being handed a grade like a 7 year old.

I'll pass.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You could always use CalorieCount.

scuse me...would you like to play tic-tac-toe?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    By what criteria is the food judged?

On long run days I need different nutrition than I do on rest days than I do on lifting days, and then there's days where I am eating to prepare for tomorrow's workout- a universal grading system makes no sense.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    MIDDLE BOX
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    On the phone app, they do give you your daily and weekly stats (like % vitamin A consumed/Daily value, protein, fat, etc)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    MIDDLE BOX
    fineeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

Great idea!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    MIDDLE BOX
    fineeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ODD CHOICE FOR YOUR TURN, BUT OH WELL. NEXT, I TAKE THE TOP MIDDLE BOX.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's something like: vitamin a x/100% + vitamin c x/100% + fiber x/100% - saturated fat/1%)/x, and related to reasonable (consensus) nutritional standards in the US.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

On long run days I need different nutrition than I do on rest days than I do on lifting days, and then there's days where I am eating to prepare for tomorrow's workout- a universal grading system makes no sense.

Yeah, but you can also see trends over time. So if you're chronically avoiding foods with Vitamin A or something, that's picked up. If you're having to watch cholesterol, sodium, etc, it's useful.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Yeah, but you can also see trends over time. So if you're chronically avoiding foods with Vitamin A or something, that's picked up. If you're having to watch cholesterol, sodium, etc, it's useful.
    I'm OK with tracking the things I want to track on my own. This site already has too many arbitrary useless features- like the water tracker and "You will weigh XXX in 5 weeks feature"- for my taste. Plus I don't agree with the dietary guidelines for sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat, sugar, protein, or fat and don't want to be graded based on them.
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    as long as raspberry ketones get an F so people stop asking about them.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I'm OK with tracking the things I want to track on my own. This site already has too many arbitrary useless features- like the water tracker and "You will weigh XXX in 5 weeks feature"- for my taste. Plus I don't agree with the dietary guidelines for sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat, sugar, protein, or fat and don't want to be graded based on them.

Fair enough to your first and last points (I haven't bothered to go much beyond the consensus view) and agree with your second.

I do think the reporting on MFP reflects its overall focus on weight loss, also seen in the way it pushes people new to logging/diet awareness/etc to the 1200 calorie recommendation. I get that it's supposed to be motivational, but is (imo) patronizing. Also, just wrong).

I really liked the reporting on CC. Captured loss over time, all nutrients, not just whatever 5 - I'm sure it made me more conscious of balancing nutrition. Had graphs and all.

But, the database here is bigger, and just logging is simpler.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So wouId I have gotten a better grade if I had chosen Glennlivet Nadurra tonight instead of 12 year old Glennlivet? If not the entire grading system is flawed and lame. Mostly lame.

LAME.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm good... just make sure I hit my macros and micros.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I definitely wish this site was more nutrition oriented. I've seen a lot of peoples food diaries here, and I bet people would think twice before they ate crap if they saw its nutrition grade. A lot of people think it's all about staying under a certain amount of calories, but if you aren't getting what you need nutritionally, then why bother?