Sad

Options
A little off topic, but I want to share that I just had to get one of my old old cats euthanized. She was 19 and had a stroke last night. She was fine, her usual self all day, but suddenly she couldn't walk; kept staggering and falling over. We took her to the emergency vet and she had some diagnostics done but when everything came back normal the vet agreed it was likely a stroke. There wasn't any hope of her getting any better so we decided to put her out of her misery.

I know we made the right decision but I'm still sad and so are the kids - they grew up with that cat! We still have her brother around. Both he and the dog seem a bit bewildered - it's hard to know what animals really think. I guess we're all going to adjust over the next little while.

Funny - she was always the queen of the house, and the vet assistants really liked her and made a big fuss over her so she went out in style - royal to the end!

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So sorry :( losing pets is so hard. I'm glad you have others to get some comfort from.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Saying goodbye is always so sad.
  • aisser
    aisser Posts: 232
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your cat. They get to be just like family I am an animal lover and every time I loose a animal it's like loosing a family member. I had a Palm. she had a stroke and we had to have her put to sleep. I still have a wolf mix a ferrit and 3 horses and fish. I don't have acat any more couldn't bring it here when we moved because of the dogs in the neighborhood she would just walk right up to them.Again sorry to hear about your cat.
  • momofaubrey
    Options
    I am a total animal lover. Your pets become part of the family. It was the right thing for you to do, but I am sorry for you loss. :(
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Your cat lived a long, healthy life and I'm sure she was loved. It's amazing how they really become important member of your family. Thinking about losing my cat (he's not quite 2 yet) brings tears to my eyes. Animals are certainly great joys. Hugs to you!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My husband and I when we married agreed we weren't going to have pets for quite a few years; 3 years later we got our first dog. Not even a year later we got a second one (our first needed a playmate!). And now, it's had to imagine what we were thinking and why we didn't have dogs before we did - we can't imagine life without them!!

So sorry about your cat, but at least you have other pets to comfort your family. It'll be hard, but just remember the times that made you smile and it'll be ok!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Sounds like you really loved her. :flowerforyou:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Whenever we take pets into our homes and our hearts we hope this day will never come but we know it does. It's hard right now but I will cherish the time we had together and the happy memories.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you! Sorry for your loss, I lost my cat (Bando 21) this year and it is so very hard.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    FireMonkey,

I have 3 cats: my "old maid" (she's really not that old - she just acts like it) Meine (chocolate point siamese); our wanderer and hunter (despite his lack of cahonas!) Columbus (oh so aptly named!) - he's HUGE, a tabby and then the latest addition who actually adopted US (seriously... the third time she came into our house, she just never left!) and my younger son named: Meowi, a dark calico. Meowi & Columbus are best friends, which is great because he used to try to get Meine to play and well... she's a very pretty cross eyed lump. LOL

At one time, we thought about getting rid of Columbus *because* of his hunting - we live in a large metropolitan city and I have a pond (har har) and I couldn't imagine he could possibly be his happiest or safest. But since the arrival of Meowi, can't ever do it. They would be devastated without each other.

Before the two newest, I had another dark calico, Myschieva. She was 7, 8 years old. She was my "baby" in a big way. I'm not sure what happened (I have my suspicions), and although she hated the outdoors - she left one day; I presume to die as she got out of a window that even Meine - who does like to be outside - wouldn't jump out of. Plus, she was far too attached to me to just disappear for any other reason. I never got to say goodbye and I miss her terribly. That was .. I guess about 5 years ago. There's something about not getting that closure that has the sorrow linger. It is good that 1) your kitty had such a loving environment and was probably an exceptionally happy feline; 2) that your family had the wherewithall to not keep her in so much discomfort - alot of people are not so strong/selfless; and most of all 3) you all had the opportunity to say your goodbyes. That is so important - for all of you.

hugs to you and your family. It is a sad time to lose such a dear friend.
  • mrsbojangles
    Options
    :heart: I am sorry for your loss. I've been through it many times, and it never gets easier, but it does become more rational. Keep the conversation going with your family so they can all share the happy memories. This helps tremendously. It also helps the others see that they are not alone in their grieving. I will pray for you and your family. :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your cat. :flowerforyou: It sounds like she had a good life with your family. I don't have a cat now, but I remember how hard it was to let go of one I had about 15 years ago. She had cancer and it was affecting her ability to walk as the growth had entered her spine. She was not in pain, but it was still a very hard decision.

More recently, the little grey and tan Shih tzu, ("Dreyfus") pictured in my ticker was diagnosed with cancer. I managed to keep him comfortable and happy for 4 months after the diagnosis, but I watched closely for the symptoms that would tell me it was time to let him go. When they came, it about killed me,:cry::cry: but I did what had to be done.

I still have the Lhasa Apso ("Mai Li") also pictured in the ticker and my avatar, and I was given another Shih tzu ("Pepper") as a Christmas gift in 2008. More recently, I acquired a Yorkshire Terror--not a typo--"Bradley" is really good at getting into trouble. It is amazing to me that he has lived to be 13 years old. His momma passed away last summer. She was related to a good friend of mine, and her other two dogs were both 15 and in need of special care. My friend already had one of their litter mates, so she now cares for THREE geriatric Yorkies!! This one was in better health and we figured more adaptable to a new home as long as there were other dogs. He is my little shadow when I am home, and he and Pepper get very competitive about who gets the lap and who gets the part of the chair next to me when I sit down. Mai Li has learned to tolerate our newest addition since she figured out that whenever the little pirate goes on a breaking and entering expedition into food that is not his for the taking, he always "shares."

The three of them are know, collectively, as "The Three Little Pigs." This stems from an incident last Thanksgiving evening when I returned home from having dinner elsewhere to find the cupboard door ajar, and empty bag of doggie chew bones lying on the kitchen floor and three very thankful little "piggies" in my living room--each enjoying their own bone!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I know I will probably outlive all my "babies" but I wouldn't miss the joy they bring to my life.

It is very painful now, but concentrate on the good memories. With a 19 year old cat, I am sure you have plenty of them.

As a final bit of irony, I was about halfway through this post when Pepper decided it was time to migrate across my lap and jump to the ottoman. When he did "poof"--there went my post and I had to start over. :ohwell:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for you loss. We had to put our 18 year old cat down about 7 years ago after having a stroke. I still remember when she wobbled into my room bumping into everything and falling over. Still one of the hardest thing I ever had to do. It is so hard losing a pet, like everyone else says, they are such a part of your family.
    Mine and my husbands first dog together passed away 2 years ago May (got his by a car) and I still cry on a regular basis because I miss my Lily!
    You are in my thoughts! :flowerforyou:
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm in school to be a veterinary technologist and I will never, ever get used to saying goodbye to people's pets.. My friends dog was put down and I cried with him..

I am so sorry for your loss.. *HUGS*
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your kind words. Your stories made me laugh :smile: Hugs to all of you! :flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    ****HUG*** My heart goes out to you. I have 5 furry friends and just love their antics. I can't imagine losing one.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is always so hard. :cry: :flowerforyou: