Weak knees, low impact excercises needed, ideas ?

Options
Hi folks

I am on my second week of training and so far so good, currently I am mixing it up with swimming, x box dance central and I have a cross trainer. My problem is weak knees with pain if I do anything to impacting. I'd love to do squats but it's so painful.

I am booked to have them checked out just incase it's anything under lying.

My question in what else can I do that will not cause me to be jumping around or twisting my knees, I want some variaty so I don't fall off the wagon training.

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    cycle, pilates, yoga
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi folks

I am on my second week of training and so far so good, currently I am mixing it up with swimming, x box dance central and I have a cross trainer. My problem is weak knees with pain if I do anything to impacting. I'd love to do squats but it's so painful.

I am booked to have them checked out just incase it's anything under lying.

My question in what else can I do that will not cause me to be jumping around or twisting my knees, I want some variaty so I don't fall off the wagon training.

elliptical mimics jogging with no impact.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Practically EVERY client that I have had that said squats hurt their knees did them wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are some who shouldn't squat at all, but if you can dance and bend at the knees, then you can probably squat. Weak knees is an indication of weak muscles around them. Work the muscle to get it stronger and weak knees are no longer weak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cardio equipment that you can use -- bike, rowing machine, arm ergometer (if it gets to a super serious condition with your knees)

Idea - Try building cardio circuits that push you but allow you to ignore your knees as much as possible. Build in a lot of calisthenics - mountain climbers, pushups, floor ab exercises, etc and some resistance exercises - bicep curls with resistance bands, ABCs with dumbbells, tricep push backs, etc. Stay away from plyometrics (jumping exercises).

If you get a clean bill of health, take a look at the way that you're executing exercises. If you're not using proper technique, you could be stressing your knees out.

Unfortunately once you take legs out of your workout routine, you also take out the largest part of the calorie burn out.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Walking?

I also found an aqua aerobics class that I enjoy going to. This has helped my bad knee a great deal!
  • rustyroof
    Options
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the tips. What would you suggest is best to build up the knee muscle ?

Aqua aerobics sounds good, I may see if my local pool does this :0)
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I have problems with my knees as well and for a schwin stationary bike and I love it. Easy on knees but a good workout