Fat Dietitian

Options
2»

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Would you trust an underweight dietician?
  • Some of you have very good points. But, i'm not going to lie. I definitely would not see a fat dietician, doctor or especially personal trainer. If i'm going to see these people i'm going because i want help for one reason or another. Therefore i would totally be turned off or less motivated if they weren't energetic, healthy people.

With that being said, I myself am studying to become a doctor and am overweight. REALITY is that people will be less inclined to come see me for health advice if i wasn't healthy and energetic myself. Which is why i joined MFP. I realized that enough is enough and i'm ready to change!!

=)
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I first read this post I thought "that wouldn't make any difference to me". I would see an overweight dietician.
    But then I saw the doctor? personal trainer?
    I know that at my gym my preference has been to see the personal trainer who has the most athletic body (in my eyes); I'm less confident in the ability of the slightly overweight personal trainer that works there.
    The more athletic personal trainer could just have good genes; she doesn't necessarily have more knowledge or work harder than the other.
    Glad you made me think about that.

Lovely to see such an honest response. Made me think too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    People put trust in the decisions/comments that professionals make. While a professional may give great advice, if they suck at living it, it's hard for people to believe and who actually want to see proof that the advice works being given by someone who can't abide by it themselves.
    I don't take a someone seriously if they say "smoking is bad and will kill you" if they are puffing a cigarette. Unless of course they are suicidal.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Zylphie
    Options
    Hmmm... this is interesting, especially because I just completed a nutrition class. For the first few days, everyone was incredibly shy and self-aware, regardless of what they weighed.

I would trust an overweight dietitian. What do I know about their story? Maybe they've already lost 100 lbs or something, and it spurred them toward this career.

However, I would NOT trust a dietitian who I saw eating McDonald's or complete crap in front of me.

Basically, the appearance of the dietitian isn't what does it for me; it's how they act.
  • trishmce
    Options
    I have to say I was a fat personal trainer. it wasn't from lack of trying, I did and still do work out daily and eat very well. I even gained 25lbs while training for a marathon. I was going insane. Found out I had a severe gluten intolerance and my blood panel showed me as s malnourished. Since changing to a gluten free diet I have not changed my calorie intake or my fitness and have dropped 3 sizes since November 5. If I didn't work out yeah I would have been a sham and if a nutritionist is eating wrong then I would doubt them or a doctor who smokes is questionable but look a bit beyond. I was more frustrated than any of my clients and they all got to where they wanted to be: win races, lose weight, build for competitions, rehab from surgeries etc. I had the information in my brain and the ACSM certs to prove it.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The nurse at my GP surgery is very overweight. I love her warmth, personality and that compassion that she shows everyone. I dont judge her on her appearance, she is just a lovely, lovely person and I will always try to get an appointment with her if I can whatever the appointment is for x
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My wifes dad is a consultant surgeon (colorectal).

He once fired a dietician for being fat, because he felt she couldn't possibly be taken seriously by the hospitals clients at that size (they did try and get her to lose weight firs - it wasn't instant).

Wow. That's not illegal or anything.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My wifes dad is a consultant surgeon (colorectal).

He once fired a dietician for being fat, because he felt she couldn't possibly be taken seriously by the hospitals clients at that size (they did try and get her to lose weight firs - it wasn't instant).

Wow. That's not illegal or anything.

It wasn't illegal - this was recently. Went through the whole disciplinary procedure etc, but essentially, I think that the opinion they and the medical board took was it severely undermined her professionalism.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... this is interesting, especially because I just completed a nutrition class. For the first few days, everyone was incredibly shy and self-aware, regardless of what they weighed.

I would trust an overweight dietitian. What do I know about their story? Maybe they've already lost 100 lbs or something, and it spurred them toward this career.

However, I would NOT trust a dietitian who I saw eating McDonald's or complete crap in front of me.

Basically, the appearance of the dietitian isn't what does it for me; it's how they act.

I would certainly question a dietician eating McDonald's in front of me while s/he was counseling me on nutrition. But if I walked into McD and saw my dietician there, I wouldn't stop trusting him/her (though I'd question their taste in food). Maybe if I saw them eating there every day, but then I'd ask myself "WTF am I doing in McD every day?!?"

I don't know why anyone ever wants to eat McD's crappy food, but eating it once in a while is unlikely to damage your health, and a nutritionist would know that.