Cheat days?

Options
2»

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I call them mental health days. Losing a lot of weight takes a LOT of time. If I never take a break, I get burnt out.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Instead of scheduled cheat days don't feel guilty when something comes up and you deviate from plan. For example there was an event at a local Pizza Ranch restaurant this past Saturday. Went to the event and indulged some. Also have some upcoming trips planned with the kids sports teams, on those trips may go out to a restaurant and not eat as healthy as other times. Basically instead of a planned meal / day a week for a cheat time, I just allow myself to indulge at various times based on the circumstance.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm 10000% FOR IT...I would nto have lasted this long without it....but i dont 'cheat' an entire day..... i just select a day where if i decide i want something, i get it.... and welll i still maintain control..... in the past the constant deprivation would result in me OVEREATING days on end... so I try to get in foods I want to eat, that are not so good every once in a while.... like right now i'm having chineese noodles lol. But imma work it off in the gym later though..... 'cheat days' are good.... sorry for who else disagrees, but it works for ME. All the best :)
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't deliberately have cheat days / meals. If I know I am going on a night out / out for dinner I try and eat lightly in the day and work out enough so I have spare calories to use. If I go l sightly over one day I will work out so I am slightly under the next.

However, life isn't always controlled and neat so if I do happen to go over one day I don't beat myself up about it.

Also, don't forget that mfp sets you at a deficit and you have to eat over your maintainence to gain so unless you have an enormous binge and then do nothing to rectify you won't gain. It might just make you lose a little bit more slowly which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat without too much worry of what on a weekend day - and consider that a cheat day....but really I don't deny myself much - If I really want something I allow myself 2 bites.

You have to make this liveable - and when I feel deprived - I get mad and want to quit, so "cheat days" make things seem much more bareable to me.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I do "higher calorie day" once a week. I don't like the phrasing of cheat day because it gives a bad connotation to food.

^^^^^^^^This, being good, bad, cheating, guilt, what the frell, those are all ED words...*sigh*
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've never done a cheat day or meal since I've been on here (except xmas day and one day in August when I went to a wedding) but I do allow myself to have an occasional treat if it's within my calories. I try not to eat sweet stuff every day, but if I want a cookie then I will have one, just account for it.

My personal trainer has a cheat meal, I think he does it once a week.

I think once I hit the point where I'm maintaining I might do it, but not while I still have a bit to lose.
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
    No, don't have cheat days. You should rather have cheat meals. I'm telling u this based on my experience. Last year, in May 2012, I begun dieting + exercising for good to lose weight. I had a day in the week, mostly Saturdays, to eat whatever I wanted to, because I was eating clean the other days. But So wrong could i be. Even though I lost 23 lbs in 3 months, I still didn't get the results as I expected to. Then, in September 2012 - I started eating normal again, which means 2500 calories a day, and gained around 25 lbs. So cheat meals are better than cheat days. They should fit in ur daily intake :*