Swimming

RacheBell
RacheBell Posts: 111
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Is anyone else excited that summer is right around the corner? I was bored, and looked throught the database for some exercises, and if I swim moderatley for 90 minutes, I can burn 1100 calories! So, I definatley can't wait until I'm able to do laps in the pool.

The down side though, bathing suit...

Does anyone else know any good exercises to do in the pool? My mom has a pool in her backyard and I'd love to take full advantage of it next month.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Yes!

But man, that calorie burn does not come easy! Maybe you're already a swimmer so 90 minutes isn't a big deal, but even 30 minutes of the front crawl is enough to wear me out. And I consider myself to be a fairly fit person.
  • RacheBell
    RacheBell Posts: 111
    I grew up swimming! My family always used to go snorkeling and scuba diving, and every summer I was in that damn pool. But since I've moved out and had a job and 'grew up' I hadn't been out there, so I'm eager to get going again. Who knows, maybe i can convince my boyfriend to go to the ocean with me and teach him to snorkle!
  • WhitneyDS
    WhitneyDS Posts: 1 Member
    You could water You Tube videos for water aerobics routines. They are a great way to lose weight while in the pool. I did a class at my local gym yesterday and it was so intense. You'll burn more calories than just swimming.
  • Lissa05
    Lissa05 Posts: 3
    hi there,

i use to swim competitively, i always use to like doing 500 metres of butterfly kick with a kick board, it really tones your thighs
    hope it helps

cheers larissa :smile:
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    i grew up swimming competition too. i used to be pretty good until i blew out my shoulder and knee :( i actually just got back in the water for the first time this year. i grab a kickboard and some fins and do at least 300-500 yards. fins will help you if youre not as strong a swimmer.
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    I love swimming! I'm taking water aerobics and lap swimming classes at the college next term. Maybe look into some water aerobics equipment and moves for your pool time.
  • As mentioned above, YouTube have great pool workout/exercise vids.

I normally change style every few laps - mainly do front crawl, butterfly, backstroke, & love underwater laps
    throw in some tredding
    walking/jogging putting the knees high up
    then use a kickboard - placing it front, hold it with both hands, upper body is floating, and legs kicking, or lie on my back, place the kickboard on the chest, and kick the legs to end up at the other side of the pool
    back to more laps

Side stretches, crunches, squats, & jumping jacks are also good.
    Jumping jacks - you place your feet flat on the pool floor, knees bent, jump up with arms going up (like a star jump) and then land with knees bent & hands joined above the head.

You can also hold the edge of the pool and pull you knees up to the chest and swing your legs to the left and then to the right, a few times, for the waist & abs.

A water log is great for the exercises too.

If there are a few people you can have a game of water polo- always fun!
This discussion has been closed.