Airy feeling in stomach?

Options
Hey, I was wondering with all of the people on different diets here maybe someone can answer my question.

Every once in a while, I wake up feeling very "airy" in my stomach and upper intestines. This persists throughout the day, to the point where if I eat anything my stomach cramps up like it does when it is full. Occasionally I will burp (only a few times in a day, not constantly) and it will feel better for a second, but doesn't fix anything. Right now my stomach and intestines feel very crampy but nothing is "happening"... just like air is hanging out in there.

I have no idea what could be the cause, and I am wondering if anyone has any known food issues like this? I would love to get rid of this horribly uncomfortable and appetite ruining feeling. I will also add I am coming down from my scheduled monthly bloatingness, maybe that has something to do with it?

Things I ate recently, that I can remember:
6 oz Steak (two days ago evening)
broccoli (two days ago evening)
one loaded potato skin (two days ago evening)
one heavy cal beer (two days ago evening)
Cottage cheese and cream cheese crepe (I had two and ate one breakfast and lunch yesterday)
Yogurt, vanilla (yesterday morning)
Medium skim cappucino (yesterday afternoon)
Wendys spicy chicken Caesar salad with dressing and croutons (yesterday night)
Small helping of frosty, maybe 5 spoonfuls (yesterday night)

That's all, I won't list today because this feeling started before I had eaten today.

Edit: Also, this doesn't seem to happen very often, less than once a month, that is why I am thinking it is a trigger from something, but I have no idea where to start figuring it out.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor
  • reh1089
    reh1089 Posts: 21
    Options
    sounds like gas. maybe from the heavy/dairy based foods? try taking a tums.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That happens to me a lot, but I don't know what causes it.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sounds like gas. Probably a symptom of the beer and broccoli. Although, somewhat strange that it takes two days to show up. Cucumbers also do this to me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor - so yeah, insert "go see your doctor disclaimer here"

but it sounds like gas...

not being sarcastic here, but do you fart?

Now, i'm not suggesting you let em rip anytime you have an urge, but if you feel that pain, go use a restroom and let it go.
    When I was in my teens, I used to wear tight jeans and NEVER let er rip... EVER... once that pain sent me to the ER it was so bad. Yeah, I was horribly embarassed when the doc diagnosed it.

holding it in can cause serious pains in the stomach... trust me I know.

broccoli, spicy foods, heck, dairy, even cappuccino can do it.

for me - it would have been the cappuccino...
  • haileybailey5
    haileybailey5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat raw vegetables, anything with Chicory Root (like fiber one bars, Luna bars, etc.) and anything with heavily processed soy. I would suggest checking out the ingredients in your food that you ate so if it happens again you can look for a link.
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I felt that way when I started cutting calories. Might be part of your body adjusting to a different and lower calorie diet. If it continues I would see a doctor and get it checked out just to be safe.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Definitely sounds like gas. If you eat or drink stuff sweetened with Splenda or other no-calorie sweeteners, that can cause gas. Or foods with a lot of fiber (like broccoli).
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and too much dairy causes that issue for me, so I try and moderate both. I don't get issues with cottage cheese really or greek yoghurt, but rather with cream and milk. But broccoli can be lethal, especially mixed with all that dairy.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    You just need to fart. Go walk up and down the stairs a few times, it should come out.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup that is what dairy does with me!! Cottage cheese specifically. But I love it so I keep eating it....dang!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i am not a doctor.

that said, try some Gas X and make sure that your yogurt has a good probiotic in it.

basic abdominal cramping due to gas in addition to menstral cramping is PAINFUL, i know this. Gas X and a heat pad.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is, but I would start taking probiotics every day if it was happening to me...
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Now, i'm not suggesting you let em rip anytime you have an urge, but if you feel that pain, go use a restroom and let it go.

Do people really reserve their farts strictly for the bathroom? Because I fart everywhere!
  • kariplease
    Options
    It could be too much fiber.. that's what happens to me.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the suggestions!

As for the whole farting thing, its isn't the same, because it's all in my *upper* digestive system... literally upper cramping in my stomach above my diaphragm and I can feel it bubbling sometimes. Absolutely no unusual activity down below... If it was as easy as heading to the bathroom or not holding something in, then I'd know my problem (lol).

Maybe it was the unusually high amount of dairy I had... the crepes were very heavy so the two made up most of my diet yesterday. I have contemplated if I have a mild dairy sensitivity, it runs in my family a little.

As for the doctor thing, unless I am bleeding from somewhere or literally unable to walk, I'm going to try to figure it out for myself... I'd rather not give up groceries for a week to be able to afford an (as of yet) unneeded visit, and my issue is pretty infrequent, so I am assuming it is diet related rather than a chronic issue.. Plus, people here have varied diets and maybe someone has come across a similar thing!

I will buy some tums and pepto and see if that helps :) And I'll keep an eye out for the dairy.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Downward dog, happy baby, and childs pose. You will deflate within minutes.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Do people really reserve their farts strictly for the bathroom? Because I fart everywhere!

I fart everywhere too, but always remain on alert, ready to shift away swiftly if it is a potent example.