Ever just want to shake a friend for a crash diet?

Options
tat2dzombiegirl
tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
I have a friend who jumped on this whole new years weight loss resolution. Which is great any time is a good time for a change. I tried to get her and her hubby to sign up where we workout. My guy and I have lost almost 60lbs together in a few months. Here's what irks me......

She prepaid for 6 months of an intense boot camp with a trainer and a dietician. Her dietician has her off all wheat, flour, etc. Immediately. Come on that's so hard, baby steps! Portion control.... taper off!

She has a new baby and a husband who's not on board with diet and exercise. I tried to get her to sign up for MFP for support. But she's set on DIY.

Anyone else have a friend on a crash diet you just wanna shake and say SLOW DOWN! You don't want to see them fail?

Share, share, share!

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    As a nutrition science major, I learned a long time ago not to give unsolicited advice. I'll talk about things that have worked for me, but I don't get on other people's cases. That usually doesn't end well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people that I just want to shake.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I only shake babies and shake weights
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your friend. When I decide to do something, I jump in with both feet all or nothing.

All too often, it turns out to be "nothing", but we don't always know that going in. Your friend will figure it out. Maybe she'll do better than you think. If not, hopefully she will remember what you said and see how well you're doing.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Every day...co workers doing the latest fad/pill diet and laughing (jealousy) at me cause I eat all the time but stay smaller than them!
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Your my hero!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!! I totally read that wrong...

aka...

New "Shake a friend" crash diet... calories burned increase based on how long you shake them and how heavy they weigh!
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has another friend who went on a really restrictive diet for like a month and lost thirty pounds, so in spite of the fact that I was trying to convince her to do like I was doing --- eating what I like but in moderation and working out three times a week --- she was hell bent on going on this crash diet. Three days later she called me and asked me if I wanted to go to lunch. She had lasted one day. Now she's all bummed out about her weight, which has gone up since then. The good news is she told me that's she's 'that far away' from joining the gym with me. I hope she does. I just love her. She's a great person and I just want her to feel better. But I know it's a decision she has to make on her own when she's ready.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!! I totally read that wrong...

aka...

New "Shake a friend" crash diet... calories burned increase based on how long you shake them and how heavy they weigh!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is making my day
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My friends keep talking about using that stuff you sprinkle on food to curb your appetite and all kinds of diets like cabbage and grapefruit diets. I've lost 53 lbs already and they don't want to listen! It drives me crazy! Some of them even signed up here but few have followed through for more than a day. None of them will go to Zumba with me, or the gym. I hope they discover the best way is diet and exercise, there's no miracle. It's that simple and it's so easy with support from MFP friends.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I have friends here at work who keep doing pills or fad diets and then try to eat the same things for dinner that made them heavy to begin with. I stick with positive reinforcement and just bite my lip when I see them eat something I know they shouldn't. Positive reinforcement might be when I see them eat salad I would say, 'that looks fantastic, what did you put in your salad today?' One girl is all about saving money, so I might mention where I saw fruit on sale this week. I wish I could get all my friends to join me, but I can't -- until they're ready and come to me and ask.

Cheers!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ROFL, you guys are great. If I ever need a laugh I know I can just look at the forums on here.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to do what works for them, or figure out what doesn't. Just be supportive of her as I hope she was of you when you started. there is nothing wrong with cutting out wheat, it doesn't have the same effect on everyone. Based on what she said to her trainer he probably felt this was best for her, but even though she is cutting out certain stuff doesn't mean she isn't meeting her calorie goals.
  • awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    Yup, my friend just went on an all banana and water diet...not really sure where or how she came across it, but I suggested trying something healthier and more practical. She refused. Sometimes people just need to learn on their own, I guess.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My friends have decided to believe that I am starving myself or I wouldn't have lost the weight and I certainly wouldn't be keeping it off, even when they see me eat 600 calories at breakfast or cake once a month at our office birthday party. So they are always excited to tell me that they have decided to starve themselves, too. I try to show them what I'm eating, but to no avail.

Yes, I want to shake several of them.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options

hah!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My friends keep talking about using that stuff you sprinkle on food to curb your appetite and all kinds of diets like cabbage and grapefruit diets. I've lost 53 lbs already and they don't want to listen! It drives me crazy! Some of them even signed up here but few have followed through for more than a day. None of them will go to Zumba with me, or the gym. I hope they discover the best way is diet and exercise, there's no miracle. It's that simple and it's so easy with support from MFP friends.

especially considering sensa is primarily maltodextrin. my ex's mother used to use this (she tried every diet "trick" in the book, besides you know, exercise and vegetables). she got rather mad when I told her she could just make it herself for a crapton cheaper.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    just today my aunt sent me an email about hcg. i had to to tell her its a scam and fad diets dont work, the only thing that works is eating less and moving more. i think i lost her when i said, it just takes a lot of hard work.

people want thing fast and with little effort. it drives me up the wall, but there is not much you can do when you have a lazy person who wants to lose weight.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i have been on the shake a friend for a cash diet and lost 15lbs.
  • lisalou1509
    Options
    I am the friend that people shake :s I lost a big chunk of my weight through a liquid diet. However since then I gotten to love exercise and keeping active :) tho I'm still a fan of low carb.