Overpronation and Shoes

Options
Hi, all :smile:

Last week, my tried and true sneakers bit the dust, cutting into my feet and giving me blisters. I overpronate when walking and running, but have always just used regular sneakers. I went to a sporting goods store and they suggested Asics Gell 1170s, which are meant to help straighten your ankles when running, so I bought them.

I just finished my first jog with them (slow pace, 30 minutes), and my feet are in so much pain! My heels hurt and the arches of the shoes feel as though they don't match up with the arches of my feet. Is this just my feet "getting used" to running the right way, or should I return these sneakers ASAP?

Thank you!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Return ASAP! They should never hurt, even right out of the box. Go to a running store, and get fitted for proper shoes there. It will make a big difference!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to be fitted for shoes. Asics and Nikes hurt my feet; New Balance and Saucony work better. Everyone is different, so a professional can help find shoes that work for you.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Return and get something better suited for you. Any major brand is going to have shoes help to correct overprotination it is not something that only Asics do.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use ascics for over pronation, the gt-2170, the have different styles, maybe try some others like mine. I NEED the arch in. Mine, maybe you dont and simply need to change the footbed, they are replaceable. I have an extremely high arch insert that i use when standing all day, and the one it came with for normal walking around. I absolutely love them, thhey have saved my feet, knees and back!
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I'll check out some specialty stores this weekend.