Is this clean? I'm thinking no.

Options
I just want to make sure that on my short hiatus that the main concept of clean eating hasn't changed. I'm pretty sure this acquaintance on my facebook feed is confused what constitutes clean eating. Today she posted a picture of a can of biscuits and a can of Manwich and said it's clean becasue she used ground turkey in the meal.

Umm....what?

Though I applaud her for making steps to better herself, I feel that there is definitely a difference between healthy eating and clean. And I'm not saying that biscuits and manwich is healthy...but if it's healthier than all the fast food she used to eat then that's at least a step in the right direction. I just found it really odd that she thought that was a "clean" meal...I mean the whole point is to minimize processed foods and choose whole ingredients...and I'm pretty sure those are both incredibly processed foods.

I guess my big problem with it is that there's misinformation being put out there about clean eating...it wouldn't be such a big deal, but she's a DJ at a local radio station, so she's got quite a big influence locally.

What do you think?

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would say that, in no way, is clean eating. The biscuits probably have about 20 ingedients alone.

So don't worry, you still know what you're talking about. ;)
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Is a pot of vegetable soup and a pitta bread clean eating? i haven't really ever come across this term before?
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's not "clean." In fact, a "sloppy joe" is meant to be dirty, right? But her style of eating is certainly valid if it works and is nutritionally sound.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    It's not "clean." In fact, a "sloppy joe" is meant to be dirty, right? But her style of eating is certainly valid if it works and is nutritionally sound.

What is a sloppy joe?
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    bump
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    What is the definition of "clean eating?" I have never heard of this term before.
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

What is a sloppy joe?

A manwich is a sloppy joe. A sloppy joe is meat, usually beef, mixed with well... sloppy stuff LOL... I think tomato sauce / ketchup like base... with seasonings, slopped on bread, usually a hamburger bun. It makes for a sloppy meal. I'm not sure where the joe part comes in. :) Makes for some good eatin' but definitely not what I would consider "clean".
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options

What is a sloppy joe?

A manwich is a sloppy joe. A sloppy joe is meat, usually beef, mixed with well... sloppy stuff LOL... I think tomato sauce / ketchup like base... with seasonings, slopped on bread, usually a hamburger bun. It makes for a sloppy meal. I'm not sure where the joe part comes in. :) Makes for some good eatin' but definitely not what I would consider "clean".

oh right... i did wonder what a manwich was to lol?
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

What is a sloppy joe?

oh right... i did wonder what a manwich was to lol?

My bad, manwich is the name brand of the sauce you can just mix in with ground beef to make a sloppy joe (minus the bread).
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had a sloppy Joe once.

We broke up.

*kitten* wouldn't do the dishes.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    Lol Kevin.

and ooooh right sorry ignorant British person! I only know it if you can buy it in Tesco! hahaha
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What is the definition of "clean eating?" I have never heard of this term before.
    Must be the opposite of vegan. Since veggies all grow in dirt, they aren't clean. Avoid anything that grows in or near dirt. Stuff that comes in cans and plastic bags is clean because it never touched the ground. You know, spaghetti-o's, frozen pizzas, mac n cheese, etc.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    Must be the opposite of vegan. Since veggies all grow in dirt, they aren't clean. Avoid anything that grows in or near dirt. Stuff that comes in cans and plastic bags is clean because it never touched the ground. You know, spaghetti-o's, frozen pizzas, mac n cheese, etc.

To be fair, it is what it sounds like. This did make me laugh!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Clean is relative, I think. I thought that I was doing pretty good with my choices, then somebody (in the past) pointed out that EVERYTHING on my food diary that day was processed.

Including the old fashioned oatmeal and the raisins?
    Including the two Asian pears that I plucked off my own fruit tree in my own back yard?
    Including the organic Greek yogurt?

One of us was confused, that's for sure!

I could see how making sloppy joes at home would seem like clean eating to someone who would normally have grabbed a couple of Big Macs at McDonalds.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a can it is not clean eating. I have never seen a can of sauce and a can of biscuits growing on a tree. I also bet on the lable of both those cans there's at least a few ingredients that also don't come from nature. But I do love me some manwhich!
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lol Kevin! That's hilarious!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a can it is not clean eating. I have never seen a can of sauce and a can of biscuits growing on a tree. I also bet on the lable of both those cans there's at least a few ingredients that also don't come from nature. But I do love me some manwhich!
    Does cooking or cutting food or mixing foods together cause them to stop being clean? For example if you take a bunch of beans and chunks of meat and throw them all in a pot with some spices to make chili, is that "clean" or not? What if you were to eat all of the ingredients separately?

(I do think the term "clean" is rather presumptuous and implies a value judgment, as if all other foods are 'dirty.' It would make more sense to call it "whole" or something, but that's another matter. ;))
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    who cares?
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    who cares?
    really good point