Jogging?

Options
Hello! I've been going to my gym for about a week straight now and it seems like the more often I go the less far I can jog. Am I just not trying hard enough or is it a medical issue? It seemed like the first few days I went it was easy to jog for 10 minutes without stopping but now I can't even make it to five. What's up with that?

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Improper training? Going too fast? It could be any number of things.

I tried and succeeded with the C25K program (couch to 5K). Helps you build up the endurance slowly. Running in my 5th 1/2 marathon this weekend.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You're pushing your body too hard and it isn't recovering. At first, run only every other day. Soon enough you will get stronger and be able to do more.
  • rag26
    rag26 Posts: 4
    Options
    Okay, I'll try that. Should I still be doing other cardio in the meantime? I like doing the bike and using the elliptical as well. I'm going to start strength training soon too!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with running you can try the elliptical or bicycle. They'll both work your cardio but it's a different type of workout. If you're dieting and running every day you are probably biting off more than you can chew. Your body is starving for fuel. You should set up cardio days, not everyday cardio. I do weights 3x a week and cardio 2-3x a week. If you want to focus on cardio I would suggest maybe 3 times a week to start. M,W,F and Sat Sun off completely. You'll have Tuesday and Thursday inbetween runs to help your body heal up and then Saturday and Sunday will let it heal and give it a break. You really can't just jump right into running. Many people do and many experience problems because of it.
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm with Runs4Wine and the C25K suggestion. I hadn't run a mile in my life (probably literally, I used to even skip gym class) and now I run 6-9 miles regularly.