How much cardio do you do?

Options
I have heard that going past 30 mins of cardio at a time doesn't do much. I normally do 45 mins on my elliptical every morning. I'm wondering if 30 mins would do the same job or if that extra 15 mins really makes a difference? Opinions?

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    curious about this myself but being a distance runner, I guess the answer really does not matter that much to me! :tongue:
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    LOL on the distance running...I can't imagine keeping up my distance without keeping up a cardio routine. I do A LOT of cardio. Steady-state cardio (eg, long-slow-distance runs) a couple times a week 1-2 hours. HIIT workouts 3-5 times a week 30-45 minutes each, once or twice a day.

To me resistance training is like watching paint dry. I do it because it has to be done.

I can't imagine building a cardio base on just 30 minutes a day. Maybe I'm crazy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have heard that going past 30 mins of cardio at a time doesn't do much. I normally do 45 mins on my elliptical every morning. I'm wondering if 30 mins would do the same job or if that extra 15 mins really makes a difference? Opinions?
    Doesn't do much...for what? :smile:
  • petiteMom289
    Options
    30-45 minutes at most and normally about 2-3 times a week.
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a distance runner as well, so clearly biased. I run one long run/week (~1.5-2 hours), one medium run/week (~ 1 hour), an easy run (usually 4 miles), speed training (time/distance varies) and strength training 1-2 times/week (trying to get in two). I'm almost at goal weight but if I want to get my BF% down, I'm going to need to intensify the strength training.
  • bigeasy36
    bigeasy36 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hour a day four to five time a week to start out with.
  • bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do 7 days a week on treadmill...... 4 days at 1 hour and 3 days at 30 minutes. Do it cause it makes me feel better...not sure of any scientific reason:wink:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    30 min about 2 times every 6 months that isn't considered weightlifting...
  • Jrabbit321
    Options

Burn that much more.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    70 minutes a day - six days a week. 35 minutes on stationary bike - 35 minutes on rowing machine.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do about 60 minutes a day 5 - 6 times per week.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Burn that much more.

If you're moving, you're burning calories. You don't stop burning calories 30 minutes into your run or other cardio.

I think you're confusing a few of the things that have been said on this website and in books. If you are doing a strength training program, then you may not "need" more than 30 minutes to have a good fat burning routine. If you're more into cardio, then you can go as long as you want/can handle.

If you're worried about toning, muscle development, etc., then too much cardio can be counter-productive to some extent. For example, cyclists and some distance runners can get very small upper bodies but have big, strong legs because they're burning fat all over but only working the muscles in the core and lower body. Runners and bikers can have very strong legs just from their sport. But unless they do resistance, they'll have small upper bodies.

Rambling, but I hope it helps.

ETA: I work out 5 days a week. On the 3 strength days, I do 10 minutes of cardio to warm up, then stretch, weights, then 20 minutes of cardio to reduce any muscle pain. On the 2 non-strength days, I do 90 minutes or more cardio. I take 2 days off a week.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I do at least 20. Usually its anywhere from 45 - 1.5 depending on what I'm doing and what combination.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do about 60 minutes a day 5 - 6 times per week.

lost 80lbs this way and still losing
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I walk most days with dogs, but that's it. Pounding on a treadmill or similar = kill me now.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    60 minutes 3 to 5 times a week. :heart:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    depends on the exercise. 30 mins jogging is different than 30 mins exercise bike.

i generally do 60+ minutes light to medium during the week, and 100+ on the weekends. my preferred cardio is exercise bike / walking / hiking.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options

Burn that much more.

If you're moving, you're burning calories. You don't stop burning calories 30 minutes into your run or other cardio.

I think you're confusing a few of the things that have been said on this website and in books. If you are doing a strength training program, then you may not "need" more than 30 minutes to have a good fat burning routine. If you're more into cardio, then you can go as long as you want/can handle.

If you're worried about toning, muscle development, etc., then too much cardio can be counter-productive to some extent. For example, cyclists and some distance runners can get very small upper bodies but have big, strong legs because they're burning fat all over but only working the muscles in the core and lower body. Runners and bikers can have very strong legs just from their sport. But unless they do resistance, they'll have small upper bodies.

Rambling, but I hope it helps.

ETA: I work out 5 days a week. On the 3 strength days, I do 10 minutes of cardio to warm up, then stretch, weights, then 20 minutes of cardio to reduce any muscle pain. On the 2 non-strength days, I do 90 minutes or more cardio. I take 2 days off a week.

I'm more into weight lifting, I lift 5 days a week for around 45 mins, I start every morning with fasted cardio, I have been doing 45 mins, but I'm thinking of dropping down to 30 mins.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I hope those weight lifters don't come on here and start bullying us telling us that we are wasting our time.... :wink:
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    I hope those weight lifters don't come on here and start bullying us telling us that we are wasting our time.... :wink:

Oh gosh me too