what do you think about fruit and vegetable smoothies

Options
I am not a big fan of fruit and vegetables (reason why I don't eat right) I seen that you could start off by drinking smoothies and it. Would be a healthy alternative to eating unhealthy... if it is a good ideas what type of vegetables.. what fruits go with vegetables.. need some help

Replies

• katg73
    katg73 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a NutriBullet - which, you should know, *truly* is the second best blender to the vitamix, with a $400 price
    drop! I have a green smoothie just about every day for breakfast. In fact, I never had breakfast on a regular basis before I started doing this. This is what I regularly have only green smoothies:

- 1-1.5 cup kale (about 3/4 up to the max line on the NutriBullet cup,
    basically mostly kale)
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds
    - 1/4 scoop whey protein (you can do more, but I find that this is just the right amount for my first meal)
    - 1/4 of a banana
    - fruit of any kind, usually about 1/4 cup

Trust me when I say the banana really cancels out the kale and any other greens taste after a while. I started out putting half a banana, but am now down to only 1/4 of a banana. Some people
    Prefer an entire banana, it's really your preference. And I have to tell you,
    It is a serious life changer! And the longest you blend anything for is 90 seconds - I kid you not. Anyway, if I was willing to shell out the money for a vitamix, I totally would. But why should I when the NutriBullet is able to blend the kale
    and even the tiny chia seeds?? My brother has the ninja and he has trouble blending up kale and seeds and I've heard this from multiple people who have the ninja. And I swear I don't work for the company, just like
    to help people by sharing a good life changing product :). Feel free to message or add me if you have any other questions! Also, if you decide to get it, get it from BB&B w/their 20% off coupon! Even cheaper!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a NutriBullet - which, you should know, *truly* is the second best blender to the vitamix, with a $400 price
    drop! I have a green smoothie just about every day for breakfast. In fact, I never had breakfast on a regular basis before I started doing this. This is what I regularly have only green smoothies:

basically mostly kale)
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds
    - 1/4 scoop whey protein (you can do more, but I find that this is just the right amount for my first meal)
    - 1/4 of a banana

Trust me when I say the banana really cancels out the kale and any other greens taste after a while. I started out putting half a banana, but am now down to only 1/4 of a banana. Some people
    It is a serious life changer! And the longest you blend anything for is 90 seconds - I kid you not. Anyway, if I was willing to shell out the money for a vitamix, I totally would. But why should I when the NutriBullet is able to blend the kale
    and even the tiny chia seeds?? My brother has the ninja and he has trouble blending up kale and seeds and I've heard this from multiple people who have the ninja. And I swear I don't work for the company, just like
    to help people by sharing a good life changing product :). Feel free to message or add me if you have any other questions! Also, if you decide to get it, get it from BB&B w/their 20% off coupon! Even cheaper!

I second this basic recipe. When I want to stay away from bananas I find half an apple or half a cup of frozen berries does well also (I have a vitamix, but I bought it second hand so it wasn't quite $400 - looks brand new though). Love the bright green colour that kale gives the smoothie - something that looks that healthy has got to be good for you. I add up to a cup of water too - I like my smoothies fairly thin for ease of consumption. I blend slowly on the variable setting on the vitamix, and it doesn't take long at all - I just watch until the consistency is right for me.

There are some great raw green smoothie recipes on the internet too (just search green smoothie recipes).
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    We have a Vita Mix and there are a ton of reciepes that are awesome. See the Movie SICK TIRED and LEFT for DEAD,, its an awesome movie with Fruit and Veggie Smoothies
  • katg73
    katg73 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

basically mostly kale)
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds
    - 1/4 of a banana

I second this basic recipe. When I want to stay away from bananas I find half an apple or half a cup of frozen berries does well also (I have a vitamix, but I bought it second hand so it wasn't quite $400 - looks brand new though). Love the bright green colour that kale gives the smoothie - something that looks that healthy has got to be good for you. I add up to a cup of water too - I like my smoothies fairly thin for ease of consumption. I blend slowly on the variable setting on the vitamix, and it doesn't take long at all - I just watch until the consistency is right for me.

There are some great raw green smoothie recipes on the internet too (just search green smoothie recipes).

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the water! Thanks for catching that!
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I too totally love the nutri bullet. I got it mid December and it work just as fantastic as they advertise. I use it every morning to make a smoothie. my fav is a pear, orange and skim milk filled almost to the line. I've tried many other things in it and it does really make short work of the pulp, skin etc. on your fruit. so you get the benefit of the skin of the apple, pear or whatever, in your nutrition.
    It comes with a receipe book as well, I just don't have acess to a lot of the fruits and vegetables up here in Northern Saskatchewan. when I go south I will pick up some as I know I will love the kale and veggie smoothies as well. and mixing the fruits and veggies together will make a wonderful drink.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies! They're great for breakfast. Mine is a bit different from the one posted.

I use:

2 cups baby spinach (but you can use kale)
    1 small frozen banana
    1 tbsp Better N Peanut Butter
    1/4 cup almond milk or 1% milk (or water, if you want)
    a couple ice cubes

Sometimes I add half a scoop or a scoop of chocolate protein powder. It's really good and you only taste the banana and peanut butter!

EDIT: I just use a regular cheap-o blender. The ones mentioned here sounds really nice, though! Someday...
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a Blend-Tec (Vitamix rival) and make many green smoothies.
    Combos go like this:
    Fruits: Banana (for creaminess) plus berries or pineapple or mango
    Veggies: Kale or celery or chard or cucumber or spinach or a mix
    Optional add-ons: Coconut water, spirulina powder, green algae powder

I obviously don't mind the "green taste" but the fruit really does cancel out the veggie flavor.
  • Ashley578
    Options
    I normally hate fruit so I decided to do the smoothie thing too! Here's what I do:

6 oz. greek yogurt (any flavor, I really like the Chobani pineapple or mango)
    1 whole banana
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    6-7 ice cubes
    1/4 cup of water

It's delicious and low calories!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use to find it difficult to get Friuts I as well but now that I've opted for a Clean Healthy Lifestyle it's so easy getting it all in with smoothies ... Some days I get my veggies in this way as well -- it is soooo effortless (I use a Blender - amazingly smooth creamy smoothies)

Main Ingredients : Banana • Almond Milk • Apple • Ice Cubes
    Then I add different fruits and/or veggies ...

1). Matcha Smoothie
    Banana
    Apple
    Almonds
    Matcha Green Tea
    Almond Milk
    Ice Cubes

2). Mixed Berry Smoothie
    Strawberry
    Raspberry
    Blueberry
    Almond Milk
    Ice cubes

3). Matcha Broccoli Smoothie
    Apple
    Broccoli
    Ginger
    Almonds
    Almond milk
    Matcha Green Tea
    Ice cubes

4). Coconut Delight
    Pineapple
    Coconut Milk/Cream
    Banana(optional)
    Ice cubes

5). Orange Delight (on the go!)
    Pure Orange Juice
    Spinach (you don't taste the spinach at all)

6). Blueberry Smoothie
    Blueberry
    Yogurt
    Ice cubes
    Water/Soy milk/Almond milk

I've created these ... If you need more ideas let me know - message me :)

Good Luck