Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Injuries?

I just completed my 8th day of Insanity. Yesterday was a rest day. Today, while working out, my ankle and my lower back gave me hell. What do you do when you feel your body is injured? Should I take an extra rest day or should I push past it?

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    If you really feel like you may have injured yourself, then you should rest. I was advocating pushing through the pain while doing damn lunges and jogging. That has not been good advice. I feel like I'm getting tendonitis in my ankle now from pushing myself too hard, to soon. It isn't worth it!

RICE can be helpful!
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    There's a thing of good pain and bad pain. Soreness is normal. Sharp pain is bad.

If you think you tore something or that you really injured something go to a doctor.

If you think you're just sore because you just worked something new, workout more. Warming up a muscle is the best way to loosen it up.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Extra rest day. You can sub low intensity exercise such as walking for active rest if you feel you need to burn calories or do something to stick to your routine.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    If you really feel like you may have injured yourself, then you should rest. I was advocating pushing through the pain while doing damn lunges and jogging. That has not been good advice. I feel like I'm getting tendonitis in my ankle now from pushing myself too hard, to soon. It isn't worth it!

RICE can be helpful!

Thanks! I'll definitely utilize RICE tonight.
  • Badd3st
    There's a thing of good pain and bad pain. Soreness is normal. Sharp pain is bad.

If you think you tore something or that you really injured something go to a doctor.

If you think you're just sore because you just worked something new, workout more. Warming up a muscle is the best way to loosen it up.

It's sharp:( I'm used to being sore.
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Most certainly you need rest...Sometimes you may feel like you don't want the rest but everyone no matter who they are needs recovery days.
  • Badd3st
    Sure thing. I guess I'll pull out that good ole stretching dvd I have somewhere.
  • I would get it looked at, just to make sure its nothing serious, and then go from there..
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    about your ankle .....I just finished insanity yesterday and it was very awesome!!! about 2 weeks ago i hurt my ankle too doing the work out.. I did not take any days off other than the one rest day.... I did a ice bath on my foot post workout.. also got a ankle band to wear for my work out for support... one more thing, their was one exercise that my ankle would not allow me to do right after i hurt it so I subbed it out and just did sit ups for that one.. I am glad I didn't stop!!
  • Badd3st
    wow! thanks tricia.
  • I'm doing insanity too! Love it!
    You need to stay extremely hydrated, and keep your protein intake high for muscle for this program. I have lower back issues and Shaun ts constant reminders of contracting your core are so important. If you don't you'll hurt your back which can extend down to the feet....just got out of 3 months of PT for that very reason. My whole problem was that I didn't engage my core while exercising, it is one of the most important things you can do,
    Take a day or two off, and. When your back at it, engage your core. If not better check in with a chiropractor and get your alignment checked, if that's off it can mess up everything especially with the exercises in insanity.
    Good luck!
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    I did P 90X a couple of years ago, after the first day my back hurt but I continued on 3 more days....next day could barley get out of bed. Turned out I had a herniated disk which dibilitated me for over 3 months....all I could do was walk on a treadmill and stretching exercises....listen to your body and if something really feels wrong get it looked out...
  • HitenL
    HitenL Posts: 38 Member
    Depends on the pain but best to take the extra days rest ... listen to your body. Ice on the ankle will help and stretching too.
    All the best.
  • Badd3st
    Thank you all for all of your advice! I did rest & ice the ankle last night. It feels MUCH better. As for the back, I'm getting a band today to help remind me to "contract the core" while I'm working out. Hopefully these things will work:)