hey im new, any tips for weight loss in 40's.

Options
:smile: :smile:

Replies

• makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Keep your sense of humor and try to be patient:bigsmile: , I lost 75 pounds in my 20's pretty easy, took about 9 months....this time around, in my forties....it's taken me 2 years to take off 65 pounds.... slow...but it's coming off for good this time :wink:
    we have a group called "women 40+ would like to share progress"...drop in and say Hi...we'd love to have you!! Good Luck!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    1} Log in your diary RELIGIOUSLY, and be accountable to yourself, 2} EXERCISE for health, and 3} do not call it a diet. You are making a healthy lifestyle change. Because when you get to goal you cannot revert back to your old habits or you will be doing this again. I have been at goal for over a year and I still log in my diary, and follow the healthy changes I learned along the way.

PS. I am 50, lost 43lbs, and changed my life for the better
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Eat less move more,,, that's about it. :smile:

Here's the long version:

welcome aboard! You can do this,,, just choose to do it, and do it.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about a year now and we've done well. Lost about 130 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape. You can do it too.

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"

Yoda.
  • peterdrysdale
    peterdrysdale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dont go it alone! If at all possible find someone who shares your ambitions to a healthier lifestyle. I have found my wife a great encourager on the days when it feels like forever. In fact we encourage each other.

Of course, using this site is a great aid to this. Keeping my diary up to date and checking on progress and on others comments really is a boost.

Enjoy it! It is great fun. BTW I am in my 50s but i think the comments arent really age specific!

regards
    Peter