Do You Force Yourself to Eat if Under Calories

Options

Replies

• chiver17
    Options
    my sister pointed me to this thread, because we've been having the same discussion between ourselves the past few days. she's gone dairy-free for a medical reason, and has been seeing visible results (less bloating, puffiness, etc) very quickly after making that change. I decided to make the same change, even if only for a short time, as I don't have the same medical issue she does. I am totally motivated by seeing positive changes, it keeps me on the right track. :)

since removing dairy completely, I am finding it ridiculously hard to meet my calories most days. it's been eye-opening to say the least, I had no idea I relied so much on it for so long. I've never been one to eat a large volume of food in a day, so to wipe out high-calorie stuff like cheeses means

that said, I'm turning my focus to finding healthy calorie-rich snacks that aren't necessarily TOO filling....which then totally spoils the next meal for me.
    I picked up some dry-roasted almonds today, those will totally make up some of the deficits for me.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your appetite might be suppressed from all the exercise, actually. If I have a major burn day, I often find that I am not hungry afterwards, but then ravenous the next day.

The short version is that I don't make a habit of under-eating, so if I have calories left, I don't force myself. (I also sometimes assume that I'm not hungry because I underestimated the number of calories.)
  • insearchofbees
    Options
    If you are significantly under your calorie goal for the day and you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat? How important is it to you to hit that magic number? The last few days I have been active, running, swimming, etc, but I have had very little appetite. I am still full now from a meal I had six hours ago and now it is after midnight, so too late to really eat anything substantial. What do you guys do in this situation?

If I'm under my calorie goal but I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Listen to your body. If you are under and hungry, eat. If not, don't. =)
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I never have, because that is exactly what got me into the mess of obesity later on. Always had to eat, always had to finish what's on my plate, always have to have meals when everyone had meals etc.

As long as you don't make it a habit, it's natural to have fluctuating appetite. For instance, some days I am the same, for whatever reason, even if I have worked out, sometimes I will not be hungry at all. I am under my "calorie goal" but if I do pick or eat something I will have something of better nutritional value, whether that's eggs or peanut butter and oatcakes.

But then some days I am just so damn hungry and I will eat. It balances out if you keep an eye on intake and out take but I would always recommend no "forcing" yourself.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I always do and it is a very bad habit I have. I know I shouldnt but I do love seeing it positive at the end of the day. I have even lowered my daily goal number to combat that in the hopes I would eat all the calories and even then I come in below. Guess I am just too competitive with myself. I need to get better at this part for sure.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Do your best to eat based on known energy needs and not rely solely on hunger responses - which get somewhat impaired during calorie restriction. If it's one day a week, it isn't a big deal. However, if it's routine, or even chronic, it is a problem.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do you drink only when thirsty? You should eat the calories, hunger is not a measurement of needing food. It usually does not come until you are beyond needing food or drink.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever ever had to force myself to eat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I almost never have this problem, but lately due to starting a calorie surplus I am having a little trouble being hungry enough to make target. This is where 800 calorie bedtime milkshakes, and 10pm pepperoni pizzas help out.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    No because I'm not hungry. If I happen to be under then so be it. That's just one day.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't, I'm usually hungrier the next day so it balances out.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    yes beyond full. Why gaining weight sucks.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No, but if this is consistently an issue where you're well under what you should be eating, maybe consider allowing some higher calorie (yet, still healthy) meals when you do eat a meal so you're more within the guidlines of where you should be eating.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If it is one day, I'll make up for it the next day. If it is habitual, I make myself eat higher calorie dense foods so that I can get enough. 1100 calories is really not many calories to fuel your body for that much exercise.
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to get close to the amount of calories I'm supposed to eat each day. If I'm significantly under, I'll find something to eat. I don't want to set myself up to end up hungry later and get in the position where I'll make bad choices to tame my hunger. Plus, I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and cling to every pound.

If you keep finding yourself being way under calories, you might need to change the type of foods you're eating, or the number of times you're eating per day. Perhaps try drinking some calories so you don't get overstuffed on solid food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I typically plan my meals early in the day, so I don't get caught short at the end of the day. If I see I'm going to be way below my goal, I'll add in some higher calorie snacks, or add a little extra to my meals. Another slice of cheese here, another ounce of protein there, a glass of chocolate milk and bedtime, and there's my calories.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do the same as LorinaLynn. Making a blueprint for your day can be really helpful.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never been in a situation where I NEEDED to force myself to eat. I like to eat. But for the most part, I eat back all my exercise calories - even if that means a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter at night as I'm watching TV. On Saturday I ran for 2.5 hours. I ended that day about 150 calories under my goal because I burned almost 1400 calories on my run. But normally, I'm no more than 50 under, and frequently 50 OVER my target.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I typically plan my meals early in the day, so I don't get caught short at the end of the day. If I see I'm going to be way below my goal, I'll add in some higher calorie snacks, or add a little extra to my meals. Another slice of cheese here, another ounce of protein there, a glass of chocolate milk and bedtime, and there's my calories.

I pretty much do this myself and it works most of the time.

If I do have quite a few calories left over at the end of the day (which sometimes happen) and I'm "full" I will treat myself to a craft beer and some pistachio nuts. There are less healthy things to treat yourself with.