men weight lifting instead of cardio.

Options
has anyone lost weight just lifting weights and doing circuit training with out cardio.

men can you please post pictures i need motivation

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight just lifting weight and doing circuit training with out cardio.

Lifting weights to create a calorie deficit is absurd. Lift weight to retain muscle during a cut. Use cardio as to needed to create an additional calorie deficit.
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i agree with ^^
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    what do you have against cardio?
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Both are important and for completely different reasons. But I do wonder what the aversion to cardio is for.?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I slack big time on my cardio.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Isn't circuit training cardio with resistance?
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I barely do cardio and I've lost weight. It's all about calorie deficit. Calories burned and a good diet... whether it's strength training or doing cardio.

You burn more calories while in the exercise with cardio but as soon as you stop the cardio, you stop burning calories.
    You burn less calories while lifting weights but you continue burning calories even a day after your workout.

Best advice is to do a both, how much of each is your own personal preference, since they both have they advantages.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm female and lost weight with mainly weight lifting and not cardio. If you do less cardio then you will end up eating less. that's all.

Eat less than you burn off, lift weights to maintain your lean body mass so that what you lose is just fat.
  • willbfit1
    willbfit1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks i really appreciate the advice everyone.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight just lifting weights and doing circuit training with out cardio.

This is very possible, and bodybuilders/fitness professionals do it all the time getting closer to a competition. What a lot of people fail to realize is that fat is burned due to calorie deficits, not cardio. Cardio simply increases the deficit (among a host of other benefits). If you are dialed in to your nutrition and create a deficit that way, then you can have success with a minimal amount of cardio. That being said, lifting weights does not lose the fat for you. Lifting weights prevents losing muscle while in a calorie deficit, increases strength, and for some (beginners) can increase muscle mass slightly.

However...why would you want to completely cut out cardio anyway?

Oh...almost forgot...many people would tell you that "circuit training" IS cardio, only that you are using weights. If you can lift the same amount of heavy weight with the same amount of reps in circuit training as you do in a traditional weight training session, then you aren't doing the circuit training correctly. I know lots of people (I am one of them, from time to time) that uses circuit training as my cardio in between weight training days to work on increasing endurance and my calorie deficit simultaneously.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!