How many calories should I burn? What is your routine?

Options
If i eat an average of 1200 calories a day, and work out 5 days a week, how many calories should I burn to have progress?

For instance one day I may eat 1,243 and have no exercise
Another day I will eat 1.222 and burn 1,200 calories.

I have seen *some* results so far after 2 weeks of this. But then I see I have a net of 22 calories ands wonder if I'm doing it wrong. Should I have a negative net? what IS my net supposed to be at?

I'm just still fairly new to MFP and dieting, especially dieting WITH exercise and trying to be healthy.

Replies

• aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You know I am having the same questions. I have been doing this for a couple weeks now and I lost 5 and gained two. My goal was 1.5 a week and now it is 2 a week since I wasn't losing. I have a bad sprain so i am just getting back on my feet but now I don't know where my net for the should be. Like, yesterday we had pizza at work so I had to do elliptical to erase those calories....but I am ending my day at net 0 or -200ish and not losing. I dont want to use workouts as an excuse to eat more because I dont think I will lose that way. Hopefully some MFP guru will answer us :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You should never, under any circumstance, have a negative net amount.......
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    I just found this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

it answered my questions and BOY was I mis-understanding the point of the NET category!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1,200 calories you don't have to do any exercise to see progress.

What did you put in as your weigh loss target per week?

Also, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    having a net of 0-200 means that you're only giving your body 0-200 calories to live off of. (Yes that includes when you eat 1600 and then burn 1400)

so we've basically been starving our bodies, slowing down the metabolism, and hyping up it's ability to quickly and effectively store FAT as we consume it! And that is a whole lot scarier than eating a few more calories to maintain a healthy net.

so glad I found that "help post"
  • rachelblair09
    Options
    you should ALWAYS make sure your net is sitting at 1,200. i eat around 2000 a day & have lost 4 stone. take a look at my progress pictures. trust me u gotta eat. 1,200 is still way low for me even without exercise
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    SO glad I asked this question before going at a 0-500 net for TOO long!!

i will check out your photos, rachel.

I have a history of eating.... very poorly. being diagnosed with eating problems. But now that I have a child to care for I NEED to be healthier. I want to do it right this time. I want to be as healthy and fit as possible at the end of this journey. I'm not looking for "skinny" anymore. I'm looking for pure awesome.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    SO glad I asked this question before going at a 0-500 net for TOO long!!

i will check out your photos, rachel.

I have a history of eating.... very poorly. being diagnosed with eating problems. But now that I have a child to care for I NEED to be healthier. I want to do it right this time. I want to be as healthy and fit as possible at the end of this journey. I'm not looking for "skinny" anymore. I'm looking for pure awesome.

So happy you figure it out!!! I was worried about you at the start of the thread. I have been doing this for 2 years and you have no idea how many refuse to just eat more!!!