Tofu shirataki noodles

Options
going to try these today. have you tried them? tell me all about it. also how did you prepare them?

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting. I would love to hear how there are and where you get them.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Where did you buy them
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Dang repost
  • tjjennifer
    Options
    I tried them last weekend. Picked them up in my local supermarket. Make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse. The "authentic aroma" they talk about on the package reminded me of a can of my cat's food! Wasn't too pleased with how they tasted. I made them with a meat sauce that I usually have with Whole Grain Barilla Pasta. I will stick with the whole grain pasta.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and you can get them at the regular grocery store. They are in the refridgerated section next to the tofu. I've had them and they are okay - don't really carry any nutrional value to them though.
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I want to try them, but haven't been able to find them in our grocery stores. www.hungrychick.com uses them ALL the time and she has suggestions on how to prepare them too.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I would love to try them also. I have seen them on Hungry Girl and thought they looked interesting. I guess as for nutritional value, they aren't meant to have alot. They replace most pastas in her recipes, which are low cal. Even whole wheat pastas have high cal counts...so if you can get used to the taste (which Hungry Girl talks about) then they are probably a good idea!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    They are expensive, like 3 dollars for a 2 serving package. They also have a funky texture, like chewy, but....not really sure how to describe it. They don't offer much nutritionally. But if you want to try them I found them in the natural section at Wegmans. The smell everyone talks about goes away if you rinse then boil as the package directs. In my opinion these are more suited to Asian dishes than Italian.
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    They're not bad. I bought mine from Whole Foods. Definitely RINSE them really well and DRY them before adding the sauce. I used Emeril's sauce and some fresh parmesean cheese.
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I tried these after finding out about em through Hungry Girl (LOVE HG!). When I first opened up the bag, omg the smell was pretty horrid and I thought, wow how am I gonna eat this?! Still, I was brave and carried on. You definitely need to rinse these very, very, well and then dry them a lot after rinsing. I made the Fettucine Alfredo Hungry Girl Recipe, overall I would say yes the texture is a bit chewy, but once you rinse these and dry well and then flavor em up (I also made some chicken w/basil garlic seasoning to kick it up some more! I thought they were pretty good and actually just bought two more packages (fettucine and spaghetti). For 40 calories for an entire bag (I ate half for dinner and half for lunch for following day) but you can't really go wrong w/these if you can deal with the chewyness. I searched everywhere for these, they sell online but who wants to pay $10 for shipping right?! I finally did find them @ my local Giant Eagle, in the refrigerated tofu/organic section of the store... about $2/bag (not horrible but not super cheap..). I would recommend at least trying them once and see how ya like it. Definitely score some good recipes from Hungry Girl, she rocks! :-)
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    I've used them several times and I love them! (This from a girl who until recently was terrified of tofu!). I use them to make stir-fry and Hungry Girl low fat Pad Thai...soooo yummy! Haven't tried them with traditional spaghetti sauce, but they're fantastic for Asian dishes. I've gotten them from Whole Foods or at Safeway. At Safeway they are 2 for $3. Totally worth it!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    LOW FAT PAD THAI??!?!

Alisa, you would have a very special place in my heart if you would please, please, pleaseee, share the recipe =)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Hungrygirl.com has a ton of recipes just search the tofu shirataki and you will see them all. I got mine from a Japenese market for 1.00... they are great as far as being filling from what I hear but I do understand they don't pack alot of nutrients but low calorie so you can add protein and veggies to it. I will try them today and let you all know what I think... I am up to try new stuff
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    JUST SO YOU KNOW... there are two types of Miracle noodles and from what I hear the TOFU ones are better.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    2 thumbs down! I do not like them!