HRM shows funny numbers

Options
Hi. I've had a Polar HRM and watch for nearly a year now, FT4.

The past month while I'm exercising my watch (HRM) shows the HR "00" or else "69" quite often. This is obviously not my rate and its distracting me from doing my exercises properly as I keep pausing it and then pressing the continue button. Then the rate seems to be okay again. Its putting me off my momentum in my exercise and I doubt its giving me the correct calorie number at the end.

Why is this? They just get old and I have to buy a new one? :-( I've tightened the strap and make sure the strap is wet enough before I start.

Any ideas please? I love my HRM... :-(

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need to wash the strap, in a machine with just soap and water.. no fabric softener.

If it still does, then replace the battery in the transmitter.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, that might be it! I'm "ashamed" to say its been awhile since the strap went into the wash... ;-)

Thanks!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It's fairly likely it's the battery too. About 9 months is the life expectancy if you use it regularly - up to a year maybe.
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    Options
    Mine started doing the same thing, lots of crazy numbers. I did the cleaning still crazy numbers, replaced battery and works correctly now. :)
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with my FT4 after about 11 months of regular use. I washed the strap, changed the batteries in the watch and transmitter, and it still didn't work. It turns out, when I first bought it, I was right at the point where I could wear either size strap, I went with the medium/large one... lost weight and inches throughout the year. I bought an xs/s strap last week and now it works perfectly. Hope one of those possibilities works for you!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Funny numbers? Are they dressed like clowns?

Just kidding.
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine just started doing the exact same thing, except mine will show a heart rate of 00 and then jump up to 234! I wash mine regularily, so I know that's not it. Last night a friend suggested a new battery also, so I am going to give that a shot.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My battery only last about 10 months with daily use. I changed the watch battery and it's been close to 2 years now and I'm still on the same transmitter battery.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hah, will wash it and buy a new battery. Lets hope that works! Thanks guys.