Strenght training??

Options
Hi Guys,

I keep reading in different posts that the best way for fat loss is strenght training - weight lifting. I am quite convinced to start looking for different workouts that include some heavy lifting. However I just wanted to do a quick check if anyone here can help with the following doubt?

Is Body Combat/Aqua Combat or even Zumba considered a type of strenght training?? If not... well any recomendation for a good strenght training for beginners is more than welcome! :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see what is suggested. I am looking into strength training too but nervous as I havent the slightest idea where to start and making sure i have proper form.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Google, "You Are Your OWn Gym" or "Convict Conditioning" - plenty of strength training there.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    P.S love your display pic lol!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    No none of those classes are considered strength training - more along the lines of HIIT (High intensity interval training)

Do a search for stronglifts 5x5 and or/and new rules of lifting for woman

I started on stronglifts 5x5 and compliment it with the likes of body combat and deep water aerobics
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about Body combat/Aqua combat, but Zumba wouldn't be considered strength training.

Try www.bodybuilding.com - they have some beginner programmes - also google stronglifts 5x5 as a place to start.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 - compound lifts is all you need! I love this program!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I originally started out with body pump - I owe my good form to my pump instructor and it helped get me used to lifting weights and the equipment before I ventured into the weight room
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    No those are cardio / HIIT workouts, although you will be doing some toning in those classes.

If you are not keen on starting on lefting free weights or using the weight machines right away you could try 'You Are Your Own Gym' - just type in in google.

It's strength training but using your own body weight, so can be done pretty much anywhere.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I originally started out with body pump - I owe my good form to my pump instructor and it helped get me used to lifting weights and the equipment before I ventured into the weight room

^^^ this is a great way to get started. I Love Pump!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    WoW! Great advises! Thanks you, all! Well I started doing classes that the gym offers and they do have body pump, I might check it. And for sure I will google everything you listed!

Thanks again! :)
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    WoW! Great advises! Thanks you, all! Well I started doing classes that the gym offers and they do have body pump, I might check it. And for sure I will google everything you listed!

Thanks again! :)

your more than welcome x