WII Fit PLus Question -want to buy - what to buy?

Options
I want to buy Wii Fit plus - what does need to be included in to package? Do not have any experience with Wii's... mat? , board? remote? cable?...I do not know what they are talking about - there so many chaises and different prices - need your help! how much does it cost to buy begginers pack? any reviews about wii fit plus would be helpful - do you like it?

Replies

• TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    Love my Wii Fit Plus. You need the console, a balance board, remote, and the nunchuck. It is really very easy to set up.

Pricing I am not sure, mine was a gift, but you could just look online and see what is out there. Hope you do get one, it's been a great tool on easing me back into exercise, It is fun!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The board is about $89, the nunchucks are $15 (I think) and the game is $20.

I think its worth it!
  • CABERGLUND
    Options
    The console (Wii System) is $199 and that comes with one set of nunchucks and a remote. The Wii Fit Plus can come as a bundle with the balance board. They have it at Target for $99. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Wii Fit +. My kids and I use it to do Body Tests which keep track of your weight ( mine is off by about a pound) and the exercises get progressively harder and challenging. I do the Free step for 20 minutesand you can switch inputs so you can hear the step counter on the remote and watch TV at the same time. The program also keeps track of how many calories you have burned in the time you have been working out. It figures it lower than it actually is so some people have gotten a heart monitor which will give you a much more accurate reading of calories burned. i have used it in conjunction with MFP and generally lose about a half a pound a day. I also still need to lose 100 pounds so my resting metabolism is pretty high. Anyway, I would highy recommend it.
  • Sheri226
    Sheri226 Posts: 22
    Options
    Love my Wii Fit Plus! It's helped me get back into exercising after my daughter went to college. So much so we are planning to pick up another Wii & everything so she can take it next year when she's in an apartment. We are watching the prices at the local GameStop to purchase used items - saves $ that way. :flowerforyou: The Fit Plus usually costs $19.99, but a used one is only $9.99.

If you have the Wii Fit (which I think you need in order to use the Fit Plus, feel free correct me if I'm wrong) it comes with the board. I recently purchased the mat which comes in handy if your floors are hard, but I learned not to weigh myself with the board on the mat - unless you really want to feel good because it made me weigh 10 lbs less.

My daughter had purchased the AE Active exercise game & that is when she got the nunchuck I use with it.

We purchased everything last year at Toys R Us - watch the bundles though at times items are cheaper to purchase individually then in 1 big bundle.

Good Luck! and Enjoy!
  • skdehen
    skdehen Posts: 24
    Options
    I love my Wii Fit Plus. I had the Wii Fit first, so I am not sure if you need it before buying the Wii Fit Plus either. But I think it is definately worth it. What I like is you can do the yoga and/or strength training and it feels like a real work out. Or you can just play the games and have fun. So even if I am not in the mood to "work out", I can just play a few games and still burn some calories.
  • lazygalina
    Options
    OK...what is the difference between wii fit and wii fit plus?
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Here's the skinny on the wii stuff:

It's Worth it!

1. Buy a Wii Console (about $200) - this will come with a game (wii sports - bowling, golf, tennis, boxing, etc.) and a controller.

2. buy a nunchuck (about $20) - this is an extra piece that plugs into your controller; its needed for certain games.

FOR EXERCISING (two options):

1. Wii Fit Plus Bundle (about $100) - this comes with a balance board and the wii fit plus game (if you buy a bundle that has wii
    fit not wii fit plus, you can buy the wii fit plus game for $20)
    *Wii fit plus is different from regular wii fit in that the plus has more games and gives you the option to create workout
    routines from the games; it will also create workout routines for you.
    2. Wii Active - Personal Trainer (about $50) - this comes with a leg strap, resistance band, and (I think a nunchuck).
    *This is like a real work out; you have a personal trainer who assists you through a series of 1-3 minute exercise
    routines (jogging, walking, lunges, arms, boxing, skating, tennis swings, etc.). It has a calendar that tracks the days
    you work out, and if you do the 30 day challenge it tells you on the calendar which days to work out with the Wii and
    rest days. If you miss a day it adjusts your calendar workout days accordingly. The exercise routines are switched up
    each time you work out, so there is plenty of variety and it creates the routines for you and automatically changes
    between focusing on upper and lower body.

COMPARING Wii FIT TO Wii ACTIVE:

Wii Fit tracks your weight, BMI, calories burned, and you can input other activities you do not on the wii and it will calculate your calories burned).

Wii Fit has mini games to play that are essentially workouts but feel more like playing a game and they last a few minutes. It also includes yoga and strength training exercises so you get some cardio and some strength training.

Wii Fit Plus allows you to select various games and strength training exercises to make a work out routine. You can also select areas you want to work on and it will create a workout routine for you.

Wii Active has a 30 day challenge where you have a personal trainer and he/she creates a workout routine for you that changes daily. Its calendar tells you which days are workout days and which are not. It includes a resistance band so your arm workouts are more rigorous than wii Fit.

I prefer Wii Active to have a scheduled workout routine where I don't have to think about which exercises I should do that day i.e. upper body, lower body, or cardio - it automatically figures it out for me and its challenging. If I don't hold a pose it tells me I'm wrong or tells me i'm going too slow or too fast.

Wii Fit Plus is fun to track my weight and BMI, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. The games are fun, but there's too many choices to make a workout routine and it doesn't seem as rigorous as Wii Active.

As someone who bought wii active first then wii fit, I recommend buy Wii Fit Plus first; get used to that (there's variety and its fun), and if you want to step it up to a real workout, get the Active.

Another fun thing is the Just Dance (about $50). I dance to 10 songs for a 30 minute workout, or 20 songs for an hour workout, then I do the Wii Fit for 30 minutes...fun fun fun!!!!

Wii Fit:
  • ThaPoeticRose
    Options
    Wii Fit Plus is awesome, You can really burn calories with Wii fit
    I usually work out with wii fit for 45 minutes, I especially love the
    hulla hooping, boxing, step arobics and the running.... The yoga
    and strength training is really a challenge for me, but I'm working
    on it. The wii fit plus comes with a balancing board and the wii fit
    plus cd.... it measures your weight, I would suggest weighing your
    self in the same outfit each time to keep it accurate. I don't know if
    you have a costco near by, but you can find it there for 194.95 about
    5 dollars cheaper than most stores not to mention if anything goes
    wrong with it, you can return it at anytime...even 2 years from now..
    Good Luck and remember you can't go wrong with Wii Fit Plus
    You'll have FUN while burning CALORIES.....
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    It also depends if you are in the UK, as it is much more expensive here, just to get the console here is $271.22 and you only get two games with this, then you need to buy Wii fit plus balance board at $135.60.

We get ripped off in the UK :mad:
  • deeda67
    deeda67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love our Wii Fit Plus. I got the Wii for this Valentine's Day (I asked for it) so that my husband and I could get off our butts and at least do something together at night and MOVE. I got my Wii Fit Plus board bundle for my anniversary. I LOVE IT! And my husband loves it. Its very motivating to see your calories you burn and you really do break a sweat and I'm pretty active. I just started doing the strength training stuff and the yoga but I do like it alot too. My husband sits at a computer all day and he loves it because he can get up and do some yoga to relax while he's working (works from home). You end up working out for an hour and don't even notice because you're having fun! I like the fact that we sort of compete at different times to see who can do the best on whatever it is and that is motivating!

I also got a Biggest Loser game and I don't really like that one as much. You can't see your total calories you burned and unless you do a challenge, you can't really get a good aerobic workout, in my opinion. The strength training is good but I still like the WIi fit MUCH better.

D
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't used Wii Fit Plus but I do use the EA Active and am currently doing the 30 Day Challenge. I love it. I feel I get a really good workout and it makes me sweat too! It tracks your calories burned but my heart rate monitor gives a much more accurate reading which is always much higher than what EA says. You have rest days where you can take it easy or you can choose from one of the many preset workouts that EA Active offers. The presets range from I think a 10 minute workout all the way up to 40 minute workouts. You can choose intensity levels. It also includes sports like baseball, volleyball, boxing, tennis, dancing, and so on. You can also scroll down the long list of exercises they offer and add them to your custom workout if you want a customized workout. EA just released their sequel disc to Active and it's called EA Active More Workouts. I plan on getting this soon. I believe this second disc includes a lot of core training for the midsection.

Another software I'm interested in possibly getting is the Gold's Gym Cardio. It seems to focus a lot on cardio boxing which I think looks like a good and fun workout.

The Wii Console itself comes with Wii Sports. I play the tennis a lot. You go up in rank the better you get. Other sports are boxing, bowling, golf, and baseball.

Hope you like whatever you decide to get. It's worth it!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    :smile: need to come back here just bookmarking it :bigsmile:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile: I wanna know too!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I haven't used Wii Fit Plus but I do use the EA Active and am currently doing the 30 Day Challenge. I love it. I feel I get a really good workout and it makes me sweat too! It tracks your calories burned but my heart rate monitor gives a much more accurate reading which is always much higher than what EA says. You have rest days where you can take it easy or you can choose from one of the many preset workouts that EA Active offers. The presets range from I think a 10 minute workout all the way up to 40 minute workouts. You can choose intensity levels. It also includes sports like baseball, volleyball, boxing, tennis, dancing, and so on. You can also scroll down the long list of exercises they offer and add them to your custom workout if you want a customized workout. EA just released their sequel disc to Active and it's called EA Active More Workouts. I plan on getting this soon. I believe this second disc includes a lot of core training for the midsection.

Another software I'm interested in possibly getting is the Gold's Gym Cardio. It seems to focus a lot on cardio boxing which I think looks like a good and fun workout.

The Wii Console itself comes with Wii Sports. I play the tennis a lot. You go up in rank the better you get. Other sports are boxing, bowling, golf, and baseball.

i have the ea active more workouts - it does have more for the midsection. It also has 6 week challenge and not a 30 day and it also includes step areobics work outs which are awesome for burning calories.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

i have the ea active more workouts - it does have more for the midsection. It also has 6 week challenge and not a 30 day and it also includes step areobics work outs which are awesome for burning calories.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my Wii Fit... I haven't tried the Wii Active. I also want to second the vote for Just Dance... I got it today & it is incredible. I bought it for $40 but have seen it online for $30.
  • ChellieIrish
    Options
    OK tried to delete the above post I bookmarked but couldn't :grumble: LOL

I am so happy I am half way there to getting this package, wanted to get it for nearly a year lol BUT ... I won the Wii Console by Nintendo tonite for less than €13 ... I had to use a few credits to bid but it worked out a lot less than €40 retails at min €200 :bigsmile:

http://www.bidfun.ie/bin/detail/4670/wii-console-by-nintendo.html

I still wanna get the Plus version and some games with good exercizes on them so I'm wondering if you guys could suggest some good ones I should get :smile:

• selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I bought the Wii EA Sports Active (the More too) today & LOVE it. I've always been a big fan of Wii Fit/Plus... but like others have said it's a little "gamey". The Wii EA Sports Active is more structured with routines w/ fun actvites thrown in. I really like the challenges too... completed my 1st of the 30 day challenge.
  • ChellieIrish
    Options
    Been reading and took notes to bring with me to the shop when I go :bigsmile:

Wii Fit Plus
    Wii Active
    Just Dance
    EA Active - Is this one played on the same console? Prob stupid question but a newbie to this lol :blushing:

Is there any other good games available at the mo, ones that get you moving similar to a dance one?

• ChellieIrish
    Options
    I bought the Wii EA Sports Active (the More too) today & LOVE it. I've always been a big fan of Wii Fit/Plus... but like others have said it's a little "gamey". The Wii EA Sports Active is more structured with routines w/ fun actvites thrown in. I really like the challenges too... completed my 1st of the 30 day challenge.

Thanks you have just answered one of my questions while I was typing lol :laugh: So EA Sports is also a Wii game :happy: I'm a little excited as wanted to get the Wii for almost a year and finally today I got one in a bid (new) and in 2 weeks going shopping for the games :bigsmile: