Breakfast, all day hunger and calorie displacement

Just wondering what times of day people eat their calories in order to curb hunger? I think I am eating too little in the AM but then i fear overeating later in the day if i eat all my calories am (I am aware this makes no sense). Would love to hear from those who have made this work. I have a metabolic d/o to boot (FYI).
Thanks!

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    i eat the bulk of mine at night and also excersise in the evening. I make sure I eat at least 300 calories for breakfast, and I eat lots of small snacks during the day. it helps me not get to the point where im starving and eat too much.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    i keep it even - i do 1200 cal per day,, and i generally have about 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 for dinner and 300 in snacks. i usually have a snack about 3pm and save the other for after dinner, as i'm a 'bored nibbler', but i generally find that as long as i eat each meal at a reasonable time (ie, breakfast when i get up, lunch 4 or 5 hours later..) i don't really get hungry till it's time for another meal.
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    One day last week I had a really big breakfast around 9 AM (using a little over 1/2 of my calories for the day, but w/ lots of protein and whole grains) and I was really worried that I had "ruined" the rest of the day. But, then when it came time for my lunch, I was not even hungry... I had a protein packed snack, earned back about 400 calories through exercise and then had a nice supper w/ the family that evening and still wound up with extra calories at the end of the day.

What time do you typically eat breakfast? I work from home and don't like to eat when I first get up, so the above scenario works really well for me....
  • my goal is to always go for a large breakfast. I notice that the bigger my breakfast is the longer i feel full for throughout the day, including small healthy snacks throughout the day is also helpful. Though i have noticed that the higher my calorie intake is in the morning the longer and more energy i have throughout the day.
    As far as timing goes, i suppose everyone varies depending on the their lifestyle. I've heard you should try and eat breakfast about an hour after you have woken up. I've stuck to that and its works for me.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    I eat a lot of fat in the morning- bacon n sausage every day. Usually a protein shake with whole milk too. Low glycemic carbs. This gives me a flat blood sugar level for the day. Hunger is just low blood sugar caused by not eating enough, or more likely eating high glycemic carbs that cause insulin spike and lower blood sugar.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I only get through around 300 to 400 calories (fruit, mostly) during the (office) workday and make up for it in the evening. This includes somewhere between 30 and 90 minutes of brisk walking as part of my commute, depending on motivation.

I like to run 'lean' through the day and have the flexibility to eat pretty much what I like at the end of the day.

I make sure I hit plenty of protein, the rest ends up where it may.

If I have breakfast I just end up hungrier AND craving/eating more, just doesn't work for me.
  • cshag
    cshag Posts: 1
    I tend to eat all day...by this I mean for breakfast I will do something like egg whites on whole wheat english muffin. Or I may do oatmeal or a bowl of cereal with almond milk. Then around 9:30 or 10am I will eat a yogurt or a peice a fruit. Lunch is usually 3 oz of lunch meat (no bread or if I do have bread, its a flat out or high fiber bread to fill me up) along with cut up veggies, and a peice of fruit. Then around 3pm I eat a handful of almonds and maybe a high protein granola bar. Then dinner is lean turkey, lean pork chop, or chicken or a peice of fish. I've found that by eating and snacking throughout the day, Im not famished when meanl time comes around. If Im hungry, I eat something high in protien or fiber to keep me satisfied. I workout pretty hard 4 days a week and find that if I dont fuel my body, it actually works against me.
    Good luck, the important thing is to find out what works for you.